TabGroup container and comms panel

robn

TabGroup container and comms panel

Post by robn »

Just wanted to show off what I've been working on:

Ignore the actual comms text; what's there so far is really just a placeholder. Its the border and headers that are the interesting bits.

It can take multiple tabs, with an arbitrary widget in the header (these samples only show Label headers). It has transparent and opaque modes.

Clicking on the header for the currently open tab will collapse it, which is what you see up the top with the comms.

I've been using nozmajner's mockups as a guide. I want this to be usable to implement some of his ideas.

Since we have the TabGroup Lua widget as well that drives info/station/settings views, I might have to rename one of them. No big deal.

Still work to do, most significantly allowing widgets to be placed in the area to the right of the tab headers, and possibly even showing a collapsed version of the current header. There's also some spacing and other bits to adjust. Its coming along nicely though.

As for the comms panel, my intention is to have the priority shown with an icon on the left. Important messages will automatically expand a collapsed comms panel, and be more brightly coloured to draw attention to them. If the message has a sender, it will be colourised and clickable to set target (ship or station). And of course since its got the entire UI engine behind it, it can theoretically do anything else we might want.
robn

Re: TabGroup container and comms panel

Post by robn »

A better transparent demo:

FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Wow, looks nice.
robn

Post by robn »

nozmajner made some icons already, because he's that kind of crazy:

(this is a mockup, not an actual in-game screenshot, but is still pretty close to what I'm imagining)
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

I wonder if you'd have to have the comms tab open to see the messages, or is it just for logging the comms history? Or perhaps the comms tab would auto-focus when a message appears, and then auto hide after some seconds. Blinking if important?
robn

Post by robn »

My plan was to have a blinking icon in the header, or maybe blink the text itself. I think it'll take a few iterations to get it right though.

Btw, I'm back working on this. A lot has changed in the last year so its taking a little while to get it all hooked back up but I'm nearly there.
demolitions

Post by demolitions »

Are you still working on this, or may I try to tackle this?
robn

Post by robn »

I'm not working on anything Pioneer-related at the moment. Feel free to take it and make your own!
demolitions

Post by demolitions »

While i'm trying to wrap my head around what's needed to implement a comms system, I've reworked a couple of mockups, based on robn's old ones...
Tell me what you think.
(Images are link to higher resolution ones)
clausimu

Post by clausimu »

I like it - especially having the tab underneath the text. Two things I currently miss are

1) the possibility to communicate with other pilots in-flight, and
2) a "history" of comms (I sometimes miss a comment and would like to go back and see what happened)

I think actual in-flight comms would add big to the game!