Music Contribution

If it bleeps, it goes here
diduuz

Re: Music Contribution

Post by diduuz »

Hello,

I'm Titusz. I'm interested in contributing music to the game. So far i made 2 simple tracks for this game as a test (1 for the map, 1 for scanner), i'll share them if needed, but i think i'll tweak them a bit more.

Are there any priority tasks that i can start working on? I'd be glad if you could let me know.
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

@diduuz wkfo knows best, but I guess best is to play the game with music and see if there's anywhere you feel there's music missing / need improvement.
diduuz

Post by diduuz »

Yeah. I find those midi piano pieces really jarring, i think what i'm gonna do first is to make some synthesized music to potentially replace them. Idk what wkfo wants to do with the piano songs, i think i'll ask him about them first
diduuz

Post by diduuz »

Hi,
I'm back. I haven't had the time to compose for pioneer, but i made this combat tune this afternoon for fun. I hope you'll like it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UbFRM7 ... share_link

I can make a version that loops better, if needed.
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

Sounds cool, I like it. My only worry is that it's "too different" from what we currently have, would be interesting to see what others think.
diduuz

Post by diduuz »

Hi,
I'm sharing the three things that i've made so far for pioneer, feel free to critique them.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... share_link

insignificance: map
curiosity: planetary scanning
space warfare: combat

I actually don't think that it's too unlike the rest of the ost (or at least the combat ost), but i'll let you be the judge. The kick tends to act up sometimes, so if we decide to use it, i'll tweak it a bit.

From now on whenever i make something new, i'll upload it to this google drive folder.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Hi!
These sounds really nice! I can't offer much feedback, I'm not too well versed in music making.
Are you planning on opening a PR for them, or whould one of us do it when you are ready?

Sorry for the slow response time, most (if not all) of the team are tangled up with real life these days it seems.

(Also, I suspect you are a fellow Hungarian :) :)
sturnclaw

Post by sturnclaw »

diduuz: I'm really liking the intro to space_warfare, though I think the rest of the song doesn't quite deliver on the setup the first 25 seconds provide. It'd make for some really interesting update trailer music, though I think it's a little too "front and center" for a background track for actual space combat. About 90s in however, it's definitely getting closer to a background music track for combat, though I'd want to use it for special occasions with high portents of doom or elite threats the player is going against.

I'd perhaps suggest to split space_combat into two separate tracks - one for trailer use, and one with perhaps a slightly more regular beat or less-prevalent kicks, saving the current kicks for high points in the track. The irregular (syncopated?) rhythm of the kicks works well to signal tension/danger, but if it's playing in the background for too long it can have an impact on the player's physical ability to execute mechanical actions like aiming in combat. (Music with a strong rhythm that "fights" the natural rhythm of the heartbeat can easily have that effect when playing for longer periods of time up to minutes.)

Insignificance is a very nice track, but I'd like to see maybe a slight introduction of an instrument in a higher register at times during the track, as I find that helps to bring out the sense of wonder/discovery the track name evokes. It also doesn't seem to be quite finished, perhaps it could have a loop section or at the very least some ability to extend the track while the player is looking at the map.

I'm not sure how useful Curiosity is to Pioneer, as it seems to be a little downbeat and "tense", which is the opposite of the emotion that should be evoked in a player while they're exploring new worlds and cataloguing interesting discoveries. I'll leave it to your decision where to take that track.
diduuz

Post by diduuz »

Hi,
Thanks for the replies. I'll tweak the songs, and maybe make some new ones, but i don't know how much time i'm gonna have, since i'll have to rehearse for a bunch of gigs that will be happening soon, with a bunch of different formations, but i'll try my best.

Splitting space warfare is a great idea, i'm thinking that making the kick way weaker and using a different lead sound would help to make it less invasive. I'm not sure yet how to make insignificance work, i'm gonna think about it in school maybe. I'm probably gonna delete curiosity entirely.

(to nozmanjer: igen, magyar vagyok)
diduuz

Post by diduuz »

Hi,
I made a new track according to the feedback i got on space warfare. Focus fits better into the rest of the soundtrack, i think. It's for combat, but it can be made into a nice ambient jam, for just flying around. Take and a listen.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... drive_link