If it bleeps, it goes here
nozmajner

Re: Music Contribution

Post by nozmajner »

I think this track is nice!
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

@diduuz really lovely track, I definitely want it. Been listening to it on loop (mpv --loop) for +20 minutes now, and works really well. I assume you need help making a pull request? Please let us know what you want the author name on the commit to be.

@DerkuneMUSIC sorry for late reply, the number of files made it a bit of a threshold to look into it, (to download each file), as pioneer's music isn't my area of expertise. I've started downloading the first few songs and will have a listen.
sturnclaw

Post by sturnclaw »

This is a *really* nice track @diduuz! I think you've absolutely nailed the ambient feel of Pioneer with it, and I love the way the cello ties everything together and gives it a very slight melancholy feel to complement the "lonely space adventure" part of Pioneer.

My only concern is the first 1:00 of the track has the cello playing a very repetitive pattern in the left ear specifically - I think the mixing and left/right balance could be slightly improved there. That is assuming the cello's presence isn't tied to my headphones or eardrums malfunctioning, of course... :D

All I can say at this point is... more!
diduuz

Post by diduuz »

I have just listened to the 'space' songs from the game, and realized that they are significantly longer than my previous songs, and they don't loop. I'm making a version 2 of distant home.
diduuz

Post by diduuz »

Here's distant home v2, i might tweak it later, but it seems fine to me:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14AVcGo ... drive_link

I also have an idea for the 'docked' tracks: they could sound like radio stations. There could be a few of them, depending on location and/or settlement scale. They'd be 15ish minutes long, and they'd loop. When the player lands on a station/settlement, the game would choose one of the audio files, and fade it in at a random point in the track, like if the player just turned on the radio. These songs would also have lyrics, they could be about someone's loved one traveling to another solar system, getting drafted into an interplanetary war, or anything that people in the future would sing about. Also, there could even be songs that exist today, which would be retro classics at that time. I have a side project that makes rather radio friendly music, licensing those shouldn't be an issue. Between the songs there would be intermissions and a guy talking, like in the radio irl. This solution has a great worldbuilding potential, because this way we can show the player what music is like in the distant future. It would also be quite distinct from the rest of the soundtrack, which could help in separating the rest of the game from just chilling at a station. One drawback is that the same songs would play in the year 3223 as in the year 4572, but this could be interpreted as a critique of the radio as it is today irl, so it's all good i guess.

I hope i explained my idea well enough. What do you think?
WKFO

Post by WKFO »

Distant home v2 is quite nice overall, but I am not a big fan of the high frequency background LFO synth (the one that lasts up until 02:18). Maybe adding some variation or volume change is better? The track could maybe also use a short fade-in.

I won't say anything related to radio idea because I'm unsure and I think I need more time to think. It could work very well if we had in-station navigation, whether point-and-click or top-down RPG-like.
diduuz

Post by diduuz »

Hello

I made a new and probably finalized version of distant home. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BVpS3k ... drive_link

I'm currently juggling a million different things irl, but i'm going to focus on finalizing some mixes for the February release. I'd appreciate if some were important. Just tell me which ones would be needed, so that i could finalize those first.

I'm still working on the radio thing that i wrote about earlier. Naturally i won't be able to finish it for the new release, but that's still in the works.

I'm going to audition for an orchestra tomorrow. Wish me luck!
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

@diduuz I really like this version. Was listening to it on a loop for a while the ther day.
Do you have some git-fu, or should I do the PR for you?
Would you mind if I'd also use it as the music for the release showcase video?
diduuz

Post by diduuz »

@nozmajner if you could do the PR that would be much appreciated. Also, if you or anyone else could post here what other tracks you want to use in the release, i could start finalizing those mixes as well. I'll repost the google drive link if you need. If i end up in the credits, my name is Titusz Érsek.
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

@diduuz Are there several songs? It's just 3 versions of the same, right?