Game music

If it bleeps, it goes here
Gouldenberg

Game music

Post by Gouldenberg »

Hello!

I want to contribute my music for Pioneer, if it suits for the game (for free of course):
https://gouldenberg.bandcamp.com/album/first-expedition - listen and free download on bandcamp
Also, you can read about this new genre (Sovietwave) here:
http://igloomag.com/reviews/gouldenberg ... expedition
In a few months, I will finish a new album, which I can also contribute for Pioneer.
Clip for "1957" track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqq_IRHyDEY

I will be glad to help with music, so we can discuss about music. For example, I can write music special for Pioneer.
impaktor

Re: Game music

Post by impaktor »

This sounds really good, and it's fitting for a space game!

We (devs) are not that active (as we should be) when it comes to music or SFX, so you might have to bump us some. Only WKFO is currently doing any music for us.

Are you familiar with github? If so, opening a pull request is the best way to put this music in our hands. If not, either come by IRC or post music link here. You can include music as a zip-ed mod, as well, that you drop in your local pioneer folder.
clausimu

Post by clausimu »

Nice! Pioneer sounds and music are really underdeveloped right now. But they contribute a lot to the overall atmosphere. I wish at some point we would have a sound person that guides this aspect of the game as much as nozmajner does for visuals.
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

I agree with that.

I don't know anytihng about game music, but one thought I had was to use a music tracker library (I think milkytracker provides one), and then the music consists of blocks that all end in some way that allows easy transition to any other block, that way, when you get attacked, or aproach some big planet or something, music can seamlessly switch to another "feeling".

@Gouldenberg Listened to your album twice now, very nice. My only objection is the last track has spoken intro/outro, that might break with the ambience of a game music, perhaps. Not sure.
Gouldenberg

Post by Gouldenberg »

impaktor wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:22 pm I agree with that.

I don't know anytihng about game music, but one thought I had was to use a music tracker library (I think milkytracker provides one), and then the music consists of blocks that all end in some way that allows easy transition to any other block, that way, when you get attacked, or aproach some big planet or something, music can seamlessly switch to another "feeling".

@Gouldenberg Listened to your album twice now, very nice. My only objection is the last track has spoken intro/outro, that might break with the ambience of a game music, perhaps. Not sure.
About last track - yep, spoken sounds should not place in game process.

impaktor wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:27 am This sounds really good, and it's fitting for a space game!

We (devs) are not that active (as we should be) when it comes to music or SFX, so you might have to bump us some. Only WKFO is currently doing any music for us.

Are you familiar with github? If so, opening a pull request is the best way to put this music in our hands. If not, either come by IRC or post music link here. You can include music as a zip-ed mod, as well, that you drop in your local pioneer folder.
Sorry, i don't know how to use github, but you can download music directly from bandcamp (lossless or lossy, you can choose before downloading), just set zero price: https://gouldenberg.bandcamp.com/album/first-expedition
WKFO

Post by WKFO »

Wow, those are pretty nice!
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

@Gouldenberg

Do you suggest we use the music as is, and exclude the last song? Or do you feel like making a special pioneer-version of the last song (or any other) where vocal part is removed?
Gouldenberg

Post by Gouldenberg »

impaktor wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:12 pm @Gouldenberg

Do you suggest we use the music as is, and exclude the last song? Or do you feel like making a special pioneer-version of the last song (or any other) where vocal part is removed?
I do not insist on using all tracks. Use the ones you think fit. Also, I can create a version for the last tracks without a voice, if it needed.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

@Gouldberg:
There's a PR with your music waiting to be merged, but there's one problem. Your music is licensed as CC-BY-NC-SA, but our content in general is CC-BY-SA (which allows commercial reuse too). Is it fine for you if we mention it in the licences file of the game, that those tracks are CC-BY-NC-SA, or should there be an indication next to the files (and in the metadata?
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Don't we handle this by putting it into the licenses folder and saying which things use the licence?