Music/Soundtrack

If it bleeps, it goes here
Ray

Re: Music/Soundtrack

Post by Ray »

Is there script file for sounds like MusicPlayer.lua for music. I seems can't find it. Just trying to make some sounds for Cockpit and wander how game will use it. So, Ship_ambient sound is playing constantly and other sounds (like crew) are triggered by events or randomly? Can new sounds be added to Cockpit category? Sorry, if it's obvious question.
robn wrote:There's also been talk of a kind of "componentised" music, where we assemble tracks from fragments according to what's happen around the player. That's much harder to achieve.
It sounds like an interesting idea, but creating all the building blocks will be a great deal of work. Also, assembling components to a sound / music looks like a work for AI. And I think it will be difficult to avoid "mechanized" music anyway. Another approach could be to have program to synthesize generative (algorithmic) music by itself but it will require inner synthesizers. So far human composed music looks like a best way. Maybe it would be a good idea to have a few sound / music sets and let player choose. For example, I myself do not like epic music in games and prefer more atmospheric/ambient sound, which keeps me immersed into the game.
Now I'm considering the possibility to make music / sound set for Pioneer with more ambient (not orchestral) touch.
i950

Post by i950 »

@Ray: I don't mean to ignore you, but I simply can't help. Those questions are too involved in the code for me.

Here is the link to the new theme I've posted.

Feudal Four Theme
This is the renaissance one. I think I will need to bring it back to the "space" theme, but the melody and structure will probably stay the same.

The CIW theme has been my least favorite so far, so I'm not going to release it until I can make it better.

@nozmajner: is there any way you can clarify what an "underdog touch" would be? I keep trying but the music ends up straying too far from "ambient" which is already a problem with a lot of these tracks.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!
Ray

Post by Ray »

i950 wrote:@Ray: I don't mean to ignore you, but I simply can't help. Those questions are too involved in the code for me.
I was just hoping someone on forum will respond. Asked on SSC forum as well.
robn

Post by robn »

Ray wrote:Is there script file for sounds like MusicPlayer.lua for music. I seems can't find it. Just trying to make some sounds for Cockpit and wander how game will use it. So, Ship_ambient sound is playing constantly and other sounds (like crew) are triggered by events or randomly? Can new sounds be added to Cockpit category? Sorry, if it's obvious question.
There's no such file for sounds. There needs to be, but we haven't done it yet.
robn wrote:It sounds like an interesting idea, but creating all the building blocks will be a great deal of work.
Yep. Like I say, its an idea that's been floated. If nobody is interested in doing it, then it doesn't get done :)
i950

Post by i950 »

Here's the last of the themes I've been working on. The next one to do will be the Independent Worlds'.

Confederation of Independent Worlds
My least favorite so far. I tried to nail down a "underdog" theme by giving it a lonely start, then a triumphant end. I will probably do a lot of work to bring this one around.

I tried to make the CIW and SF themes a little more "anthem"-like than the others to show they are for these nations. I may play this down in the next iterations so they can be less distracting to the player.

Please listen to all the themes and let me know what you think!
Ray

Post by Ray »

i950 wrote:Here's the last of the themes I've been working on. The next one to do will be the Independent Worlds'.
I usually do not give people advices on how to make their music (and vice verse). Creativity is a very delicate and personal thing. So I believe the artists has a last word. But if you're asking...

Here's some technical points, not connected to what you're creating (theme is good), but just how it sounds:
- It's good as a basis, so you need to develop it further - maybe more instruments, arranging...
- sound is a little bit dry, so maybe some effects would be good.
- it's a good idea to start from simple theme... After you repeated it a few times you probably need evolve it somehow (add more variations for example)

Again, it's just a technical points.
Good luck with it !
i950

Post by i950 »

Ray wrote:I usually do not give people advices on how to make their music (and vice verse). Creativity is a very delicate and personal thing. So I believe the artists has a last word. But if you're asking...
I greatly appreciate your advice. If you're willing to give it, I'll listen and try to apply it if I can. At this point, I'm more worried about the tracks being useful to the other devs than my creative freedom with the pieces. I'm a newcomer to the composing world so I would like to learn as much as possible, and also be helpful. So keep the advice coming!

I'm going to start working on version 0.02 of the tracks and I'll post them here when I deem them ready. Any other advice, especially on a track by track basis, is great.
Przemyslav

Post by Przemyslav »

Do you think my 'Arp' series would fit in Pioneer's atmosphere?
What about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLxYyiSBgec
jamieboo

Post by jamieboo »

Hello folks

Did any of you happen to listen to the music I posted here in the forum recently?
It's a remake of the old Frontier theme. I'd be interested to hear what you think of it!

Thanks
Marcel

Post by Marcel »

Jamieboo, I listened to it and liked it a lot! In fact I tried to download it for my personal copy of Pioneer.