new face generator

Topics about the face generator.
matanzan

new face generator

Post by matanzan »

First of all : the new feature to choose face parts is nice.

Like I said some year ago, if I could I would add some extra's, like male and female armour, or set specific clothes for policemen and mechanics, or specific star systems, but I still haven't been able to figure out where and how to change things, and no one could yet tell me how. Same of course for more than one background.
The idea of the bar would be nice too, if the bartenders and the shady guys don't wear pilot helmets or a police outfit ;)

Looks like the generator changed a little in display from rectangular to square, which is causing both the original and my faces to look a bit 'skinny' and 'off' now, while the accessories are too large for the faces. Didn't check the Captain Now faces, but it's probably the same.

Question: will this be the Face Generator display from now on or will it change back next year?

The Genesia and Scout Plus faces do still have the old display, so (re)making all the face parts for the new generator would make them not fitting for the other versions anymore.
impaktor

Re: new face generator

Post by impaktor »

We have not changed anything to the face generator, other than the UI it's put into, so separate parts can be selected and possibly the aspect ratio of the window into wich it is rendered.
if I could I would add some extra's, like male and female armour, or set specific clothes for policemen and mechanics, or specific star systems, but I still haven't been able to figure out where and how to change things, and no one could yet tell me how
Look in data/facegen/ just add/remove/improve what you want.
The Genesia and Scout Plus faces do still have the old display, so (re)making all the face parts for the new generator would make them not fitting for the other versions anymore.
Its the same face gen. We have removed some background since they forked off, but other than that there isn't any change, so you can use their face gen in pioneer. No re-making anything is needed.

As for the state or future plans for facegen, look through the rest of the post in this sub-forum.
vakhoir

Post by vakhoir »

matanzan wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:48 am Looks like the generator changed a little in display from rectangular to square, which is causing both the original and my faces to look a bit 'skinny' and 'off' now, while the accessories are too large for the faces. Didn't check the Captain Now faces, but it's probably the same.
What resolution are you playing at? I added an automatic UI rescaling functionality, it's possible that it causes the face's aspect to change. Good news is that I took into account this might not always be desired, so I can fix it with a minor adjustment, but it would be good to know what to test it on.
matanzan

Post by matanzan »

Resolution: 1920x1080

But the problem might not be with Face Generator: it looks like part of the graphics (face parts and accessories) were not *exactly* in position, which is more clearly revealed by the change of the display (so they need to be adjusted/redone anyway). It just happened that they were the first I checked with the new game version, so it looked like it was the new display's fault.
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

Could you please describe a step-by-step to reproduce the error you're seeing? Possibly with screenshot would help as well. Thanks!
matanzan

Post by matanzan »

@Impaktor:

Sorry for the late reply.
I've been busy with a lot of other things.

I could not reproduce the error, so I have to assume that something was wrong with my own files and not Pioneer, luckily.
Since last time I have been working on the graphics, so I guess the ones with the errors already have been replaced in the meantime, also because it's easier now to see what's changed in Pioneer graphics , because the commander image you generate is no longer random.

There's an other problem now though... since making a screenshot has been changed Pioneer version 2019 and 2020 do give me very odd screenshots, where the .PNG parts are not fully transparent but cover parts of the picture. The lower part with the uniform is no longer visible, but covered by a part of the çommander name png. 2020 covers even more than version 2019.

If you can't reproduce that yourself with a screenshot, I'll make a picture of what I see.
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

See: #4671
Taking screen shot using your system/desktop's tools will still work.
matanzan

Post by matanzan »

I'll try it on a Windows 10 computer soon.
It gave me those errors while I tried it on a Win 7 computer with only onboard graphics... it wouldn't let me use ALT-Prscn or other ways to capture the screen when Pioneer is in full screen mode, but maybe the hardware is the cause.

I'll try to get some screen capture software and try again.