impaktor

Jay_Cup faces from IRC

Post by impaktor »

Just documenting the efforts of Jay_Cup who is/was working on face gen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9DzmO47Avw

(From IRC conversation 18 Mars 2019)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArTSiVFefWk

(From IRC conversation 25 Mars 2019)

At the time of writing, Jay_Cup was last seen on IRC 30th Mars.
charlieg

Re: Jay_Cup faces from IRC

Post by charlieg »

They are pretty awesome concepts.
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

Please get this mod going. This is the way it should be done.
J-Cup

Post by J-Cup »

Here is my reworked version of the Facegen system I have been working on. It took me a few failures to come up with a system that would actually work. I'd love to hear what you all think about it so far. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcK9LVUZzJI
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Sorry for the slow reply!
I think this version is nice, and feels much more natural than the previous attempts.
I do like this minimalistic approach. I also like the 3/4 angle of them, much more natural than a front shot.
I have a couple of notes:
  • I think a bit of perspective on the left eye (from our pov) would look nicer with the shape adhering to the perspective a bit more (did not do that on the paintover)
  • Mouths feel a bit floaty, as if they are not part of the face. It is partly a shape issue, and partly shading. Shading the upper lips darker, and adding a bit of shading to the underside of the lower lip helps a lot.
  • I think the mouths and noses would benefit form a bit of proportion tuning. The noses could be a bit shorter, and then the mouths could move up a bit. And they could be shifted to the right a bit, to better show the perspective.
  • The shape of the mouths could also show that perspective and the shape of the head more. And some would look better being a bit bigger in my opinion. (At least for the one I painted over).
  • The nose would benefit from some shadow under the tip of the nose
  • The eyes feel a bit out of place. Their shape language is a bit different from the head shapes and other details.
  • I'd think about changing the gray shading on the skin to something more of a darker skin tone. It makes them feel a little dead.
  • On the bellow paintover, I've also reduced the size of the top of the head, I think it was too big.
I think most of these faces could feel more natural with similar proportion tweaks to.
I did a quick and dirty paintover:
Oh, and a trick: flipping the image can be quite helpful when it comes to proportions. Much easier to spot these subtle issues that way, since you can look at the image with a somewhat fresh eye:
J-Cup

Post by J-Cup »

Thank you for taking the time to look them over. These are great points that I will take into account when revisiting the system in the future.