Topics about the face generator.
matanzan

new faces

Post by matanzan »

Edited post:
(last edit at November 23, 2020)

Zipfiles are available for download:

https://spacesimpics2.weebly.com/

There are full downloads and 'test downloads' available.
The full downloads are a full sets of assets (like 30 / 30 faces), the test downloads are assets with only a few examples, just because Pioneer can't run without them. So you need all of them.

Full downloads: Species 0, Race 0 (males and females), Species 0 (accessories) and Species 0 (Male clothes)
Species 0, Race 1, females
Species 0, Race 2, females
Test downloads... Species 0, females / hair / armour
Species 1, Males/Females/Clothes/Hair etc.

Please read the post later in this topic.
(BTW, to avoid confusion: in contrary to what you read on the posts from 2018 the downloads ARE available at Spacesimpics2.)

Please make sure you scan the files (and other small files you download) first at VirusTotal.com before use.
Last edited by matanzan on Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:09 am, edited 16 times in total.
impaktor

Re: new faces

Post by impaktor »

Your images aren't showing (tried logging out of your image service?).
matanzan

Post by matanzan »

see next post
Last edited by matanzan on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
matanzan

Post by matanzan »

matanzan wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:02 am Hi everyone,

I've been looking around a bit lately for some material to make faces for Pioneer. Back then I did a meagre attempt to create aliens, but lost a HD with the original files. Oh well, they need to be done better anyway, lol.
The other day I stumbled on Facemaker 3 (http://facemaker.uvrg.org/) and on the amazing art (hair creation) of HellOnLegs and The StarDoll Props on Deviant Art. So I decided to give it a go at free clipart, some recoloring and copy-pasting, and created faces and hair, based on their works. So the real credits go to the aforementioned.

There are *no downloads yet* , because I'm still cleaning up some 'noise' on the pictures (as you see f.e. the 'white aura' on the 'terran police woman' and some more stuff that needs to be cleaned before release). In the next coming weeks I'll have an alpha version ready.

At this moment I have a few (mostly Caucasian-like) women done only, but there will be more. I hope you guys wil find the 'semi-realistic' cartoon style fitting for Pioneer.

I'm intending to use as much of what is already done for Pioneer as I can, without changing too much. I've tried to make the faces compatible with the existing hair/items/eyes of Captain now and Baobafet, but:

- The faces are all single pieces, and the noses, mouths or eyes can't be changed (in contrary to vanilla Pioneer), so I will just make a *lot* of pics for variation, and I hope you guys will too.
- The 'terran cap' is a 'hair'-slot.
- Some things you see on the pics might change, like the dark part of the hair on pic 6
- I use empty png's where the old 'eyes 1-0' or mouth were (so i don't get errors) and have a few 'beauty spots' in stead of noses (as in pic2).
- Also I might need to adjust existing hair or items to make them compatible. For example I might change some of the original 'eye masks' in size or slightly change their position, like the green glasses in pic 6 that are slightly 'off' now.

Just a few samples to show you what's happening at the moment:

https://spacesimpics.weebly.com/

***** Sorry for the inconvenience. The pictures weren't show properly, so for the moment I made a quick update
with a weebly page: they should be visible now ****** (thx, impaktor!)

More soon...
Last edited by matanzan on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

They were visible in the morning, then not.

Although these faces are looking way better than what we have currently (admittedly, that's a low bar), but I think this 3D/realistic approach isn't what I'd prefer. I can't speak for the others, but in my opinion a light stylized facegen would serve the game much better.
This is what kind of approach caught my eyes lately for example. Although I have a quite bigger collection of inspiration.

matanzan

Post by matanzan »

I can easily understand that ... well, I will make a set of faces for all the races for you guys, and those wo like to use it can do so, so there's something just for the time being.

I'll instruct people how to install them and how to put the originals back.
Last edited by matanzan on Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Yeah, the thing is when I work myself up to start working on them, somebody comes around with something, so I back down.
So don't hold yourself back, I don't know when I will have the time to actually do something with it anyway.
matanzan

Post by matanzan »

I'm eager to see what you come up with also ;) The above pics are nice, too ...

What we should do is make packages available, so people can choose which style they like.

It's a bit like Morrowind (if you know that game) when modders made the Better Bodies mod to replace the (also a bit ugly) originals.. then different styles and variations came out, something for everyone
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

You don't need any install instructions other than placing it in your local pioneer-folder:
https://pioneerwiki.com/wiki/Mods

Yeah, from the sounds of this, it doesn't sound like we would want this in the main game, but rather as a mod, that can be used instead for those who want. It would also take up some space, since it's not procedural, but builds on pre-generated.
matanzan

Post by matanzan »

Install instructions? Correct. It's just to make sure that people do not overwrite their original files.

I realise now that I'm on the developement section, lol (because I couldn't get into Space Sim Central somehow for the mods), so the purpose wasn't to get it implemented in the main program, but as an option for people to replace the standard graphics ... (*lol*)

If there's some space to announce it as a mod i'm also very happy ;)