Facegen concept ideas

Topics about the face generator.
Twinstik

Re: Facegen concept ideas

Post by Twinstik »

Can I raise this from the dead? Thanks :D

Face generator can make some downright scary faces and the quick and dirty fix could be with some more extreme fake scanlines.

So, a pic like this, but at about 60% opacity:

Can turn this piece of uncanny valley:

Into this much more appropriate retro comm screen pic:

Here's a random pic from google image search:

green version:

Or even a more fitting blue version:

Unfortunately, I'm not much of a programmer, so I couldn't even figure out the size of a whole generated image.

Some time ago, I also tried making some cartoonish replacement faces, but the game probably wants the exact number of images like the original, so making that would require either making about 25 types of everything or digging through code and recompiling. So I gave up on that :/
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Evarchart is still working on the replacement faces, so the topic isn't dead actually.

This scanline thing doesn't really help much of you ask me. Sure it hides the ugliness, but hiding ugly behind ugly won't help much.
Also from an angle I think the faces need to stay as ugly as they are, so the pressure for making something actually good to replace them won't be smoothed out. :D
Twinstik

Post by Twinstik »

Oh well. If we ever get a build that reads any number of files from the folders, I'll probably do a cartoonish replacement :D
jpab

Post by jpab »

Twinstik wrote:Some time ago, I also tried making some cartoonish replacement faces, but the game probably wants the exact number of images like the original, so making that would require either making about 25 types of everything or digging through code and recompiling. So I gave up on that :/
The hardcoded-number-of-face-images problem was fixed in September 2014: https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pioneer/pull/3180
paper_rocketship

Post by paper_rocketship »

another thing that would help would be reorganize the screens so that the size of the faces in the interface is smaller (which would also free up some space in UI for other things). even pictures of actual people would be kind of unnerving when you have to see them that large and that close up :p
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

Seems the image hosting service you used is down. Please don't forget about this amazing contribution. It will greatly enhance the polish of the game.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

I don't think he's forgotten, life just takes over sometimes.
He has some other example pieces on his deviantArt pages.
Evarchart

Post by Evarchart »

Definately haven't forgotten :)

I think I may have said this before, but if my best intentions were bricks I would have enough to build a mansion! :)
I fully intend to come good on my promise of assets, life does indeed get in the way...and then there's the distractions...such sweet sweet distr-

...seriously though..I haven't forgotten
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

Wouldn't the best way forward to be to at least present some kind of package that could be integrated with the game? Even if it is only a couple of expressions and a single gender - something that a motivated coder could try to get running in-game. If you wait for them to be perfect then you may be waiting forever?
These are just a VERY small fraction of the assets I have drawn and an ever smaller fraction of the possible combinations. I still have a lot to do and these are mostly placeholders until I get the time to go back to each asset and add detail etc. But even at this early stage the output from the facegen is pleasing.
So get them in-game. It is a serious upgrade on the current faces as-is; put together what you have as a proposal so at the very least it can be identified what needs doing in terms of meeting the minimum requirements.
clausimu

Post by clausimu »

I would also really like to see the new faces in game. The examples at deviantArt were great.