Hello! I am new!

Topics about the face generator.
impaktor

Re: Hello! I am new!

Post by impaktor »

Looking really good!

By The Way, I just got to thinking: a human "pirate" species/race would be useful, i.e. in lawless anarchy/pirate systems we can have the people look a bit more war torn, angry, scarred, etc.

EDIT: with blinking, I guess mouth movement would be next. I suggest one thing at a time (i.e. get static images in place first?), but I'm not familiar with the work flow.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

About blinking: It sure would be nice, but maybe it would be better to first build a static basis, and then update it. Especially since it needs playback capability implemented.
Also we need to decide if these images are some kind of avatar images, like on facebook and such, or actual comms feeds.
The problem with mouth movement is that you need to animate the whole face almost to make it look convincing.
Evarchart

Post by Evarchart »

I must admit, I knew the animation idea would be hard to keep up with. It would be nice to see a small animation for just the eyelids though, it would make just enough of a difference to the comms screen that would keep it faithful to the original but have that little extra for our nice new P.Cs.
I will make a rough human graphic now and hopefully you'll like the style enough to agree to use it for comms screens. I tend to re-work my artwork quite a lot and love to get the right kind of vibe.
I hope I can help you guys get what you need
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

We just need a lot of faces from the same artist, I think.

For the ships, we have different people who have done different kinds of ships, thus they look different, because they are from "different ship yards/manufacturers". I think we are much more dependent on having the same artist do all the face assets, to keep the same style.

So the biggest thing would be to make sure you don't tire yourself, or loose interest in a week.

I really like the one you posted, so I hope we will get to keep you here with us.
Evarchart

Post by Evarchart »

I saw that other posting by that artist who made the comm screens very cartoony, and while his art was excellent I didn't think it suited the game at all.
I hope whatever tests I do can fit in with the game, I think it's a tough job for anyone to take on to create such a wealth of assets that are there to help immerse the player into this Universe.
I am very keen to have a decent attempt and I don't think my attentions will dwindle within a week :)
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Evarchart wrote:Thanks Nozmajner! I will be having a poke around in the files to see what I can change etc.

I've made a REAL quick and dirty android here, I would need to look at how the face is assembled but I am confident I can create something really cool in-game.
I would be looking to make the humans similarly stylised.
Fuck yes that's awesome!
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Evarchart wrote:I'll probably regret suggesting this, but what about blinking animations? They would be easy to create (graphically) and give a little life to the folk you interact with in game.
We can certainly add code to do animations. That could be gif style animations where each frame is different, or more like Spriter where you animate pieces like a skeletal animation.

However this would be a bit of work to do so I'd recommend trying out static stuff first, getting used to the way that facegen layers things up.

If you need to know how things work I can take a look at the code and try to write some documentation for the art that's required.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

@Evachart: I hope you will enjoy contributing to Pioneer. :) It's usually less quiet around here, but things are a bit slow right now that exam periods and stuff are coming. Maybe drop by on the IRC channel too.
Evarchart

Post by Evarchart »

I hope you guys are knuckling-down on your homework to get good grades! ;)
I am no doubt a lot older than you are (I am nearly 40)

I really hope to contribute. It's a beautiful game
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

FluffyFreak wrote:Fuck yes that's awesome!
+1
To me that one is ready to go, but then I'm not an artist.

Evarchart wrote:I am no doubt a lot older than you are
As far as I know most/all of us are in the range 20+ to 40+, doing various things, some are at university, others in game development, and professional programmers.
Evarchart wrote:(I am nearly 40)
Don't feel alone, our work horse robn is in the same age range. And the rest of us are working our way there.