Hello! I am new!

Topics about the face generator.
nozmajner

Re: Hello! I am new!

Post by nozmajner »

Yes, they are the basis of it somewhat. Which is quite a gray area from copyright direction I guess.
Evarchart

Post by Evarchart »

I thought so. Quite rightly too, it's what I would have done if I'd been after vaguely realistic looking portraits.
I am looking through various photos of Korean, blacks and caucasian males and females getting a catalogue of facial features to get inspiration from, I am also collecting a ton of concept art and saw some stunning artwork out there which led me to wonder if there will be unique characters in game? Defined by their armour/ship etc...they could be integral to high bounty hunts etc. I was just thinking that could be cool. Especially if their reputation was fierce and you got to hear about them throughout the game and one day had to duel it out with them. Maybe.
Evarchart

Post by Evarchart »

I am just having a test of the caucasian man generator, it's taken me a little while to get to this stage, I guess it can be sped up as I get more and more familiar with the process. What do you think so far?
Evarchart

Post by Evarchart »

Quick hair test.

nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Looks very nice. Clean and well defined.
The rim-light on the chin might be a bit much though, the head feels a bit disconnected from the neck. (I warn you, I can be quite a nitpicker :D )
What's the resolution you are targeting?
Evarchart

Post by Evarchart »

I have dropped the light around the jaw, you're right, it didn't really work.
I have just done a real quick uniform test.
Evarchart

Post by Evarchart »

Also, I am staying true to the current res
*edit* 295 x 285 I think.
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

This is looking insanely amazing! I really love it! Like a higher resolution version of the "Dune I" RPG characters (I don't have that many references, but that's a game I used to play). I love the color palette as well. Reminds me of early 90s games.

Uniforms are looking very nice as well.

Oh, and Dune and David Lynch kicks ass.
I am also collecting a ton of concept art and saw some stunning artwork out there which led me to wonder if there will be unique characters in game?
The game does allow for characters to be saved, so you could implement (which I plan to do) that once you've amassed too much fine, some bounty hunter will go after you, and that one could be a persistent character (Boba Fett? ;)).
Also, please could someone tell me who was the original artist that did the current facegen art?
I don't think that person is with us anymore, but looking at the git commit for some files, they've been changed by FluffyFreak and jpab, but that doesn't necessarily mean they created them. Looks like FluffyFreak moved the files from somewhere in September 2013.
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

Also, would facial hair be an option? I could create some really nice beards and taches...the only thing I can imagine it causing a problem for the women unless your programming gods can figure it out...the fact it hasn't been implemented before makes me wonder if it's do-able. I hope so.
This should be a piece of cake for FluffyFreak, I think. ("...he said without having looked at the code")
Evarchart

Post by Evarchart »

Oh man, I LOVED Dune the game. I read the book often, that and Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks. I am not well read, I just like what I like :D

I am loving that a dedicated Bounty Hunter will come after you. I have some messed up ideas for how they will look, I am a huge Boba Fett fan and wondered if we could create a similar character for this game, some absolute badass that looks cool as hell and just tells you like it is: 'You're going down, make it easy on yourself...ah...you still have some fight in you, this will be fun' kinda thing.