Hello! I am new!

Topics about the face generator.
Evarchart

Re: Hello! I am new!

Post by Evarchart »

Also, how many factions are there in-game? I will need to get around to sketching out uniform ideas with ranks etc (in the future).
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

SolFed and CIW are the main powers, and also there's Haber corp. There are other factions you can find in the story section of the wiki, but that page is quite sketchy and needs a good rewrite. (I'd omit indignia for now for example, those descriptions aren't too good, we need to work on that too)
there are also some other hardcoded and generated factions you can find in the data/factions folder. Or if you zoom out enough on the sector map, you'll get a list of factions in view.
I'd concentrate on SolFed and CIW at first, and maybe a civilian/independent to get a good basis, and we can come up with others later. I remember talking about this a few months ago, but I can't recall where we got with it. I need to dig up my notes about that.
Evarchart

Post by Evarchart »

I am just working on a layer system in photoshop that will allow me to create various assets and test that they work with each other. This is the blueprint rather than the end result...this picture is of the VERY early stages but just to show you where I am headed with the way things will look in-game.

impaktor

Post by impaktor »

Also, how many factions are there in-game? I will need to get around to sketching out uniform ideas with ranks etc (in the future).
There are a lot of procedurally generated factions, but ignore those. They will be removed, in favour of a few handscripted proper factions. For now, only Federation, Confederacy (CID), and Haber are decided on.

I imagine there will be a democratic free faction with "good guys" (I like to think UN / Solar federation / Nato / "west"), then the Confederacy (a bit more aggressive), then a more evil Haber Corporation.

Looking at the wiki, I don't agree with the Solar Federation being militaristic/aggressive as described there. I like to think this is a role far better suited for CID and/or Haber. I also think there should be a faction modelled on the Roman empire, which will allow slavery, and having an emperor, etc.

Possibly another faction needed is something like "Alliance" or "Union" or similar which collects the rest, they would not have any particular style, and just be a motley group of all kinds of people, in some sort of trade union, and possibly combined defence and police to protect themselves from the big three/four: Federation, CID, Haber, (Empire?).

These are my view on things, which doesn't entirely match the (slightly outdated) wiki page written by nozmajner. We'll have to fight it out on IRC. I hope I haven't derailing the discussion too much towards factions now.
Evarchart

Post by Evarchart »

It's good to know where you guys are headed with the various factions etc. I was led in bed earlier just wondering about outfit styles and recalled how much I adored the style of David Lynch's Dune costumes and outfits, I may draw inspiration in some way from that movie (mixed in with my own slightly weird style). The more I can get a feel for who's doing what and their motivations I will be able to create profile pics best suited to that. I really should make myself some notes regarding this, but I'l crack on with the basic facial generator for now. It doesn't look like much right now but it will.

Also, would facial hair be an option? I could create some really nice beards and taches...the only thing I can imagine it causing a problem for the women unless your programming gods can figure it out...the fact it hasn't been implemented before makes me wonder if it's do-able. I hope so.
Evarchart

Post by Evarchart »

Also, please could someone tell me who was the original artist that did the current facegen art?
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

That's one good question. :) maybe you can dig that up on git or the community forums.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

@Impaktor: I didn't write that wiki page. :). (I'd keep the SolFed and CIW and Haber names though)
Maybe we should open a topic about this instead of derailing this one, so I copy this whole thing I just typed to a new one. :)
Evarchart

Post by Evarchart »

I just read your post just now Nozmajner, about the factions, there's some real nice scope for uniforms there. The backgrounds in the facegen would have to have more variants than currently available though, to encompass the factions etc (so we can see the various flags and motifs etc). Again, this is stuff for wayyyy down the line. I have just spent the last hour setting up folders for the various facial elements and creating basic .psd files so I know what i'm doing and I did the numbers as I went along....there are hundreds of elements currently, and this is before I even get to uniforms, space suits, helmets and various facial doodads that I REALLY want to make haha...and then there's my Droids...(they will look awesome). This is a full time job! I should have taken a month off work for this but even then I think it won't be enough time. :D
I am concentrating on creating a nice and easy workflow and it will be a steady drip drip of content posted here instead of the raging torrent that I so wish for...
Evarchart

Post by Evarchart »

I just found this, those faces look familiar :D

http://www.uni-regensburg.de/Fakultaete ... ichter.htm