Hello! I am new!

Topics about the face generator.
robn

Re: Hello! I am new!

Post by robn »

impaktor wrote:Don't feel alone, our work horse robn is in the same age range. And the rest of us are working our way there.
You make it sound like I'm getting ready for the glue factory!

I do have arthritis in my fingers these days though, so maybe... ;)
Evarchart

Post by Evarchart »

I have a touch of arthritis also, it sucks.
I'm trying to create as much cool content for games and do as many paintings as I can before my body gives up entirely.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

I'm 35 this year and only my thumbs are a bit clicky, and my left hip, also my knees, and my jaw... this bodes well for the future! :D
Evarchart

Post by Evarchart »

We could compare decrepitude! :)

I am currently in work but it's quiet and all I can think about is facial generation graphics and the possibilities for creating really cool profiles. If my tests work I would love to experiment with that Pirate idea that was suggested yesterday. Cyborgs could look really cool too.
My idea to create android profile assets too could have a practical explaination too, androids could be used in extreme environments etc, just a thought. I know that Frontier is an all human game but i did always wonder what the robots looked like and i'd quite like to even hire them as crew as i mentioned yesterday, but i don't want to push for something you guys won't want.

I'll concentrate on creating a nice look for the humans first though, they will look more arty and less photorealistic though but I think it willwork. I have had some cool ideas for B/Gs too so they will match my character art. I am dying to get something made for you guys but like I say, I'm currently stuck at work but I have a day off tomorrow so I'll continue work tomorrow with a view to showing examples as soon as I can, fingers crossed later this week.
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

Cyborgs/Robots/Pirates should be relatively rare, or at least in minority, so I guess the most assets need to be "boring" regular humans.
I'll concentrate on creating a nice look for the humans first though,
Sounds good.
i'd quite like to even hire them as crew as i mentioned yesterday, but i don't want to push for something you guys won't want.
I see no problem with that. Maybe they're very good at fixing certain mechanical things and repair the ship etc.
so I'll continue work tomorrow with a view to showing examples as soon as I can, fingers crossed later this week.
I'm looking forward to it.
Evarchart

Post by Evarchart »

I am looking at inspirational art styles that will suit those lovely ship designs. I quite like the idea of mixing up Mass Effects style with a bit of Star Wars, again, I am enthusiastic about the possibilities but well aware of the sheer amount of work involved. This weeks tests will show you guys where my head is regarding designs. It's times like this I wished I'd booked time off work so I can concentrate!
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Generally I like to look further than just mixing existing styles (especially if they are as iconic as the ones you mention), and getting inspiration from real world stuff also.
I started to compile a bunch of images and sources for this (sadly neglecting expanding it for now :( ).
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Evarchart wrote:It's times like this I wished I'd booked time off work so I can concentrate!
I do that sometimes, my partner thinks I'm crazy :D thankfully she's always thought that so it's not a problem!

So you know, you shouldn't need to duplicate or replace *all* of the images for a second species, or have multiple races.
I think that the code should cope with just a single "race" and a limited number of faces/eyes/etc.

If it doesn't then it should and I'll have to fix it :)

My point being that if you did want to start adding droid's / robots / pirates etc then you shouldn't have to add everything all at once but should be able to do it piecemeal.

Also if you run into problems or have suggestions & requests for ways to improve it or make your life easier than speak up. It can take a while to implement things, sometimes months, but if it helps people to get things done then we often prioritise it. We like collaboration!
Evarchart

Post by Evarchart »

Thanks Nozmajner! I really like those styles! I can imagine the uniforms of the military etc looking quite cool and classy.

Flufflyfreak, so glad you get me, once I hit my stride and I am on a roll I will forget to eat sometimes but I churn out my best work during those times. Creating these facial assets will be a long process which will eventually find its style and fingers crossed it will suit the game. I may be booking wednesday off work also as my g.f is working long hours that day and that would let me work hard on this as opposed to her distracting me because one of the cats is being super-cute :D
Evarchart

Post by Evarchart »

I was also wondering about a profile picture editor, so we can choose race/head shapes/features and augmentations etc? Would that be a possibility?