Update to Existing Facegen

Topics about the face generator.
baobobafet

Re: Update to Existing Facegen

Post by baobobafet »

I like the interlace idea too.

Speaking of Nicolas Cage... check out the picture on this link for the monochrome faces proggy http://www.facesid.com/products_faces_edu.html
(doesn't it look suspiciously like him? ;)

Edit: Arrg the page randomly generates different faces each visit - but here's the actual picture I was referring to:

Also found this alternative powerful tool that does faces in color http://myclone.wordpress.com/2010/03/19 ... alty-free/
or
http://www.facegen.com/modeller.htm
I can see how this tool could be really helpful in creating realistic faces and features once generated images are converted into 2D. 2D Images can be exported out to bmp,tif,jpeg & tga in 400x400 res.
From what I can tell there doesn't seem to be any licensing issues for use of faces created with this software.

Here's another tiny update to the facegen mod changed a few backgrounds, added a couple of more 'exotic' characters I neglected to add to the previous version.
d/l here.... http://www.mediafire.com/download/pr55p ... o_V1.1.zip
baobobafet

Post by baobobafet »

Facegen Modeller 3.5

Been toying with this and only barely scratched the surface of what faces can be generated.

There's really an amazing diversity of faces that can be created with this tool.
Races slider makes changing races a snap.

Shape and Color tabs allows for changing details of face with color variations for beards and stashes.
Morph tab allows for changing expressions mouth, eyes, eye color, and a wealth of other features too numerous to mention.
Output resolutions much higher than the 400x400 I had originally stated, can also be achieved.(not that it's required)

Some 2D output shots of a face that I created using this software:

Playing with the "Morph" 'eyes' sliders.

baobobafet

Post by baobobafet »

One facegen feature I would really like to see is one that records the players facegen seed number and takes it off the roster (so to speak) so that it can never be used by other NPC's, comms or bulletin board characters. (this might be a nice option to have extended to crew members as well)
baobobafet

Post by baobobafet »

Another thought on this would be a way to take certain items off the roster and make them unique to the player (for instance hair, or some peice of equipment , prosthetic or what ever allowing players to add their own custom personal items)
baobobafet

Post by baobobafet »

I wish there were some way to use some parts of the code of this program. Since the heads, even in their 3D form, are free to use.

The neat thing is that an actual 3D model of the head is created that can be saved, edited, further variations made, saved etc. It can save a lot of time.
Since each 3D character head variant that is created with Facegen Modeller could be saved for reference in its 3D format. (for example 21 heads per sex and per race)
it could make possible incorporating visible characters inside of ship cockpits that more correctly match their character profile. (also useful for personal transport devices, hovercar, Jetpack or MMU)

3D characters, whether they are restrained to the character info screens, or visible in the game world, ultimately would seem like a nice perk.

I especially like the bit that maps textures to the actual 3D contours of a face, then outputs it to a 2D useable form for the facegen to use, is a nice feature that could allow tattoos and custom skin colors to be properly and more easily applied across a broader and more diverse range of character head shapes.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

From their site:
If you want to sell or distribute the 3D models themselves - for instance as part of a software product - you need a Re-Distribution License.
US$995 per software title, including all sequels and SKUs, and including any number of face models (FaceGen Customizer included).
mld

Post by mld »

I know this is a standalone program rather than a library. But worth mentioning since it is free open source software:
http://www.makehuman.org/
Code, base mesh and morph targets are AGPL (GPL with an additional network clause)

Basically, You have a base mesh for the face and several modified versions of it as morph targets.
Sliding the value from 0 to 1, morphs the base to target.
baobobafet

Post by baobobafet »

Yeah it turns out they have special software to convert the .fg format into some recognizable 3d format so it can be used proper for 3D stuff.

At least Facegen Modeller's copyright doesn't extend to any 2D images created with it :)
Perhaps with 'Makehuman''s basic 3D base mesh, some proper morphing would allow the texture wrapping of Facegen created 2D images on top of them.
If there is a better face editor I have yet to find it.

Some very surreal effects can be given to characters using this purely as a 2D face creation tool.
Whats also great is it can be used to set parameters for faces so that (for example: they can all wear the same head gear or glasses, helmets)

Character faces can still be saved then reloaded to make necessary alterations using all the available tweak options, that's a big plus.
robn

Post by robn »

I don't really see this as being anything particularly useful. They're still an attempt at photorealism that doesn't work. The cartoon style wins.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

I agree with robn. This just doesn't worth the effort.
Creating good looking 3D heads (cartoon of realistic) is a lot of effort and work if you want to do it properly. A head/face generator just don't cut it on it's own.
These heads you posted doesn't have much style. The last one is more like it's deformed than stylized.