Face Generator Art

Topics about the face generator.
DaCo

Re: Face Generator Art

Post by DaCo »

Because of the way I'm doing things, I'll have to have separate art for different skin colors. And I think that'd be good, because I can use race-specific facial features to make character gen more coherent.
I'll go for White - Asian - Black
That is if I have the perseverance to finish ;)
DaCo

Post by DaCo »

I updated the gif with new assets.
I added three accessories, redid head shapes, more lips, started making new hair.

Hair and eyes I think are what I need to make the most of to make characters seem the most varied. Those stand out.

I'll try to add more things tomorrow. Hopefully enough so it works in the game with nothing invisible. Then I can upload. This is pretty fun.
Marcel

Post by Marcel »

This is probably a streatch, but would it be possible to animate the faces? I'm thinking of having them blink and look around and appear to mouth words when they talk to you. Maybe even yawn if ther'e bored.
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

My first (and second) impression of the faces in Pioneer were the same as yours. They're incredibly ugly. I guess it's because our minds are very sensitive to the human form, the uncanny valley and all that.

I guess now I've grown used to them and don't mind them so much.

Cartoon-faces fixes that, quite nicely as you demonstrate. Also gives me a GTA 1 vibe.

Should the background and clothes be redone to have everything in cartoon style?

I just recently did some digging in the clothes files, because I wanted to add military uniforms for military missions which will be in the game (hopefully) at some point in the future. Nothing resulted from it so far, but I'm throwing it out there if you want to do it instead, you certainly seem better suited at it than me.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

I really like these new ones. There's a quite nice variation to them, and that sure adds a lot to the faces in general.
DaCo

Post by DaCo »

I encountered a weird problem.
I started working on some female pieces. I have one pair of eyes so far. However, when I generate a female face, sometimes there are no eyes. It should just always give me the one pair.
I imagine that it will fix itself if I have multiple eyes, which I'm about to test.
I just thought that was strange.

EDIT: I copied the same eyes to see what would happen. With two pairs of eyes, it still comes up with no-eyes. Then I tried with five and the no-eyes problem was gone. So it's not an immediate issue. But I'd check the random numbers on that one.

EDIT2: I figured it out. There just need to be equal number female and male pieces. I get it.
DaCo

Post by DaCo »

I've updated the gif(s).
I'm close to finishing the first release and I've outlined my plans for more releases.
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

robn

Post by robn »

How's this going? I'm keen to see more!
DaCo

Post by DaCo »

Things are busy these days. I have multiple little projects to mess with. I'll try to put more time into this when I can.
I'm honestly overextending myself.