Paint job feature

Design docs discussion of the implementation of certain features
nozmajner

Paint job feature

Post by nozmajner »

I thought I'd write up some more bite sized feature designs here. Let's start it out with a paint job feature:

Goal: Provide a way for the player to choose between patterns and customize the color of their ship, and choose the decals/logos on it.
  • There could be a tab for it on stations.
  • Including ship spinner that shows the changes.
  • It could allow pattern selection (or no pattern at all)
    Each color# has a Hue, Saturation and Brightness (Lightness or Value) slider, if possible, more intuitive than RGB in my opinion.
  • The player should pay for a repaint. Price could preferably be based on ship mass. (Or I can add a surface area value to ship.jsons, if needed/wanted)
  • It could also allow for decal selection. Player should pay for those too, even for an empty one (removal fee).
  • Additionally, it would be nice to have a custom decal directory in Documents/Pioneer for easier addition. Might even for patterns, but that's more complex.
  • Ideally it should wait for the imgui station screen, I don't know how hard it would be to implement it on the newUI.
A possible UI, still on the current newUI system, until the station screen is migrated to imgui:
impaktor

Re: Paint job feature

Post by impaktor »

Love it!

But yeah, pigui is the ideal.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

I'd still love to see this feature, it'd be a good task for getting into the UI
The-EG

Post by The-EG »

I had something close to this functioning when I first moved the main menu stuff over to pigui:
https://imgur.com/FQX5e9c

It shouldn't be that difficult to change to HSV instead of RGB...I'll see if I still have that version of the main menu somewhere...It could be a good starting point.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

HSV is definitelly more user friendly
The-EG

Post by The-EG »

nozmajner wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:36 pm HSV is definitelly more user friendly
Yep, I can definitely see that. I've been doing RGB stuff for so long that it's 'normal' to me, but I agree picking a color and then changing the attributes of it is probably more intuitive. It also looks like imgui has a color picker that it might be possible to use as well, if we want to be fancy about it.
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

Hey, cool stuff! Get this into the game! Preferably, we also move the "face part picker" to here, and would be good for some option/config-setting/command line flag that bypasses it for devs who want to quickly get into a game and test something.

I imagine the Main Menu to have:

- New Game -> opens new menu window where we can pick starting location, face, ship-paint job (and in future player character's RPG stats). Not sure if Nozmajner agrees.

(possilby face part picker and ship paint job could also be exposed as BBS adverts or something, under special circumstances)
The-EG

Post by The-EG »

impaktor wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:14 am I imagine the Main Menu to have:

- New Game -> opens new menu window where we can pick starting location, face, ship-paint job (and in future player character's RPG stats). Not sure if Nozmajner agrees.

(possilby face part picker and ship paint job could also be exposed as BBS adverts or something, under special circumstances)
Haha, well I did originally have the ship paint/pattern chooser in the 'new game' window when I was writing the pigui main menu (my video is an early version of it), but I thought it was decided to not put it there in favor of having in the BBS adverts (maybe wanting the player to pay for that, not free?). I could be remembering wrong, though.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

I'd say, in a new game it should be random. Then the player could pay for the customization, if the green-pink polkadots scheme won't cut it. Another thing to strive for, another point of decision to wether tho cough up the money for such frivolity.
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

Sounds like a plan. Go for it.

- Putting custom color to BBS / ship yard makes sense (Maybe a good time to specialize each ship yard to a specific manufacturer, who only paints their ships. Either way, it's up to author how much time to put into it).
- I still think that when/if we get a "new game" option, moving face part picker there makes sense (+ RPG stats, once that is in the game)