Shield meshes

Spacecrafts, buildings and other 3D asset creation
FluffyFreak

Re: Shield meshes

Post by FluffyFreak »

Hmm, it's so sad that removing code is so much faster than adding it!
Ok done that, left the hit effect in place, still getting a crash bug occasionally that I need to figure out.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Bug fixed.
baobobafet

Post by baobobafet »

FluffyFreak,

Is there any contingency for ship mods that don't come readymade with there own shields? Sort of a self scaling default shield that gets used if one is not available? (A variable sphere would probably suffice for such cases)

I discovered that the original Wave-e shield does work but without the new shield effects. I managed to kludge the original Wave shield to work with the Wave-e mod, but it's 25% too small.
Any chance I could impose on your abundant skills ;) to enlarge it to properly fit the Wave-e?

I have added an update to the Wave-e mod topic v3.1 that adds the smaller original wave shield as an interim fix.
Appreciate any help on this.
Nyankosensei

Post by Nyankosensei »

baobobafet wrote:FluffyFreak,

Is there any contingency for ship mods that don't come readymade with there own shields? Sort of a self scaling default shield that gets used if one is not available? (A variable sphere would probably suffice for such cases)

I discovered that the original Wave-e shield does work but without the new shield effects. I managed to kludge the original Wave shield to work with the Wave-e mod, but it's 25% too small.
Any chance I could impose on your abundant skills ;) to enlarge it to properly fit the Wave-e?

I have added an update to the Wave-e mod topic v3.1 that adds the smaller original wave shield as an interim fix.
Appreciate any help on this.
Resized shield here
baobobafet

Post by baobobafet »

Thankyou Nyankosensei

I shall give you an honorable mention :)
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

@baobobafet,
Not really, I removed the whole "red sphere" effect when creating this one and whilst there are ways of generating a shield mesh I don't want to implement them, specifically so that people have to create a specific mesh for it.

For simple things like your wave explorer variant you could just open the existing shield mesh in Blender, scale it up, then save it out again.
That's no harder (in theory) than opening up MSPaint, resizing, and saving an image again.
robn

Post by robn »

I suspect (and nozmajner made me think so when I asked him) that its vastly simpler to actually create a rudimentary mesh than it would ever be to implement and test something to generate one. And it'll probably fit the model nicer too.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Yes it's quite easy to create these shield meshes. You can start with a cube, add a SubSurf (ctrl+1 in blender, or add the modifier). Then you just need to scale approximatelly to the size of the ship, then add some edge loops (ctrl+R), or extrude, adjust the scale a bit (alt+S is also helpful), then apply the modifier, and voilá in about 5 minutes work. Or you can make a simple lo-res sphere too, if you don't want to bother too much with it.
But that question of having something to fall back if there's no shield mesh is quite valid, but if the game doesn't freaks out when there's no shield mesh, then there isn't much of a problem in my opinion.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

I had a look into a few ways of generating and then stitching a series of convex hulls using something like HACD which could give nice results but it's probably a LOT of code work for a small amount of results that can be done trivially by the original artist :/ poor trade-off basically given how much coding there is to be done elsewhere!
Nyankosensei

Post by Nyankosensei »

About shield mesh, i have noticed that, if you press hit button inside modelviewer the time of animation is too fast versus when the shield is showed, is right or the shield is hided too fast ?