Malabar transport

Spacecrafts, buildings and other 3D asset creation
nozmajner

Malabar transport

Post by nozmajner »

Here comes a very preliminary absolutelly unfinshed ugly sneak peak of the Malabar transport. Not even proper UV's (that's why the nacelles don't have even this basic texture).
Only for the adventurous, but in the spirit of release early, release often.

Give it a spin to see how it handles and strains your rig (13k tris). It's a sloth right now, but a huge one, about 60m long without those fins.
It doesn't have hyperdrive by default, but a #9 one can propel it to about 16ly for 30t of hydrogen. Cargo capacity is relatively low compared to overall capacity, to push it more to the direction of passenger transportation. The autopilot was able to land it on New Hope (~2G) but it wasn't fully laden. Full load will bring down thrust to just a bit more than 1G up accel, so taking of and landing might be a problem (especially for the autopilot). That's why I'm putting out it for testing, to iron out any problems.
Some images for size comparison.
(next to the DSMiner with it's new size, ~60m long too)
nozmajner

Re: Malabar transport

Post by nozmajner »

For those who interested in sneak peeks like this, the Malabar mesh is ready (17k tris), and mostly UV-ed:
Zordey

Post by Zordey »

Turret guns :)

The double turrets look nice, now we need to be able to fit double guns, and of course turrets.
TheBob

Post by TheBob »

It looks a bit bulgier in the sketch, which I like a bit better than the more slender mesh, but I'm loving it either way.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Wow awesome looking ship. I'm really looking forward to seeing these coming and going ingame.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Also 17k triangles should be fine for the highest LOD, you only really see that much detail when you're close up and other ships tend to be much further away than people guess at when playing :)
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

@TheBob: I noticed that my small sketches tend to look a bit bulkier, chubbier then intended because of scale and line thickness. I find it that they don't translate good directly to 3D and they need to be toned back on that regard to look more believable.

Anyway, the UV is 100%, so texturing time!
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Animations are done and baked in, texture is a simple AO bake. I've updated the link at the first post if you want to try it out.

FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Looks really good ingame, even with just the ambient bake :)
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

A bit of progress on the texture:
(Mod file above updated)