Haber Medium Freighter

Spacecrafts, buildings and other 3D asset creation
bobtheterrible

Re: Haber Medium Freighter

Post by bobtheterrible »

Well this is interesting.... Blender 2.82a had a weird issue on my Mac where it would regularly consume 60ish GB of RAM. It would run dog slow then eventually I would run out of Swap and have to force kill Blender.

I have just upgraded to Blender 2.83.2 and as soon as I open my block.blend my Mac locks-up and I have to hard reboot... Noz, did you notice anything odd about my blend? What version of Blender are you using??

Edit: it is now crashing on other blends....

Edit Edit: sorry Im actually running 2.83.3 not 2.83.2
Last edited by bobtheterrible on Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

I'm using 2.83.2 (just downloaded 2.83.3, haven't installed it yet)
There wasn't anything out of place with your file at all.
You could try appending all the objects or collections to a new empty file. That helped me when there was a major screwup in some files I was unable to fix otherwise. But that won't help if your rig crashes on all blends :/
I haven't experienced any memory leaks with Blender (ever, as far as I recall).
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

Back on 2.82a :-/ Im sill running High Sierra so could be related to that. Apple no longer support my model so Im stuck on this version forever (unless I want to start hacking...).

So cockpit angular windows. This is what I had in mind:
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

I think it feels low-poly that way. The other parts of the ship are fine being angular, but the cockpit is right at that vague place where it feels like it wants to be curved, but there isn't enough poly budget for it.
I think it would benefit from actual roundness, and would provide a nice contrast to the overall angularity of the ship:
(I did went overboard a bit with it though, using a level 2 subdiv though)
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

Ok, I concede, that looks pretty nice. Smooth it is :)

Also:
* my greeble for the sensor package is a bit poor - if you have any suggestions/images etc... then I would be happy to swap those out
* thats a huge thruster you have put there on the side... gonna give the pilot whiplash!! :)
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Heh, that thruster was the one where I tested out the idea of making them adjustable :D
I'll think about the sensor package as well. It has some merits already, but I'm sure we can come up with something more elaborate, and grounded.
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

Alrighty, another incremental update.

* added detail to RCS thrusters (I did this manually before realising what noz meant by using cutters!)
* added sinonatrix heat sync objects
* replaced hanger door with templated airlock
* smoothed cockpit

All changes pushed up to github:
https://github.com/BobTheTerrible/pione ... lock.blend

EDIT: Im playing with the sinonatrix RCS cutters now. With mirror, boolean and "screw" modifiers these are really, really useful!
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Sorry for not being around for a bit. This one's looking good, I think you could start detailing it with decals (but not the ones coming with decalmachine, if you are using that, I don't think they'd be a good fit, except for the paneling lines.)
I'll try to do some nice gear action this weekend.
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

Awesome! Am looking forward to that :)