Haber Capital Mover

Spacecrafts, buildings and other 3D asset creation
nozmajner

Re: Haber Bulk Ship

Post by nozmajner »

Looks good.
I'd rethink the RCS thrusters though. They feel rather tacked on. I prefer them sinked into the hull, but for a ship this large it could work exposed. But it needs some thought on how to do it nicely.
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

This thing is huge! :)

It will be a nice landmark to fly around when one turns up.

As for TEU tonnage, wouldn't 33792 forty foot containers (67584 TEU) be a smidge over 3x the TEU of the Hong Kong? Not that this would be a problem in the future/SpaaAACCCE.

Bob
WKFO

Post by WKFO »

WKFO

Post by WKFO »

Easy access door to the "tug cavity" between container lines from the hangar at the front. Also added some powerful, rotatable illuminators to the sides. I was originally planning to create some simple winch system that could move container chunks around in that cavity, but I guess I might just leave it as a tug access cavity now that the front segment has a dedicated hangar for rocket-propelled movers.

https://i.ibb.co/7rLfmrQ/payload.png
WKFO

Post by WKFO »

Progressing further container-ship-wards, I added spinning marine radars on both bridges.
https://i.imgur.com/zoTzhSU.gif
WKFO

Post by WKFO »

WKFO

Post by WKFO »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w3q08ql15s7w4 ... blend?dl=0

I added electric engines to all axes which can provide course correction to the ship, in amounts that would be too small for the main engine. They are fed electricity by the fission reactor. Little RCS is still reserved for tiny pushes, especially when parking near a station.

But now, one half of my brain thinks that I'm butchering the ship's aesthetics, while the other half thinks that it was a completely sensible thing to do.
WKFO

Post by WKFO »

WKFO

Post by WKFO »

https://imgur.com/a/cTkAPVl

What do you think of those windows for the main command center? (Those windows are 1m x 2m IIRC, adjacent decks will have smaller windows)

Considering that artificial gravity will be (for the most part) generated by the main engine and the flip maneuver while switching from accelerating phase to decelerating phase, those windows will actually end up being the "roof" of the bridge layout, so the view will be like a planetarium. Only those 3-window rows on the sides will provide views to people looking "ahead", one towards the ship and one towards open space.

Excuse my horrible mouse drawing, this is what I have in mind. I won't model this probably, but as a concept. I hope the proportions in my drawing aren't too off.

Now, as I'm writing this, I'm also thinking of putting elevators between the front hull (tug hangar) and the rear hull (reactor) sections, along the beams that run through the sides of the containers' section.

During space station approaches or at times when people need to constantly see out of the windows towards the front of the ship, the seats and some controls can rotate and take a forward-ahead orientation.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Lookin' good! I think the proportions are good as well. Might feel odd, that there's only a small amount of windows for that wide section, but on one hand I guess you'll think on those eventually anyway, and on the other, having only this many windows could also accent the Haber sensibilities with that monolithic design.

This also gives me an idea: there could be a couple of indented airlock "balconies" here and there, with the same orientation, to underline the thrust gravity direction (and to show scale as well).

Visible elevators sound good as well. They'd show scale nicely, and are sensible details with actual purpose, not just for the sake of detailing.