Haber Capital Mover

Spacecrafts, buildings and other 3D asset creation
WKFO

Re: Haber Bulk Ship

Post by WKFO »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tpo6mymmhfld6 ... blend?dl=0
This one has elevators, bridge windows and airlocks. I also started (but not yet finished) cleaning up the file a bit, renaming unnamed shapes and erasing accidental duplicates (how did that even happen :O).

I also noticed something; if we want to animate the elevators going up and down, the ropes will have to elongate and shorten, because there won't be much room to simply transform them up and down. Animation part is probably possible, but I have no idea if it would create texture artifacts, or what would the best way be to do that.

Another thing is, according to this Wikipedia page, containerized cargo isn't bulk cargo, therefore this ship isn't technically a bulk ship. Granted, this is not an ocean-going ship but a spaceship, and the naming schemes of Haber might be different; but since the design was inspired by maritime vessels of Earth, I want to stay true to the maritime terms as well. I don't want to use the word "bulk" in the name, so I propose "Haber Capital Mover/Carrier" or "Haber Megatransport".
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

Elevators don't need rope, if they have a shaft plus tlittle cog wheels they can climb up/down with
WKFO

Post by WKFO »

That was my original plan, but I thought counterweighted cabins would be better because they require less energy to operate under acceleration.
EDIT: Well, you could technically get some of the spent energy back on the way down, but less effectively. Also, a counterweight makes the whole system safer because the cabin doesn't tend to go anywhere (or tends less to go somewhere) when acceleration changes.

Apart from the real world reasons, cables also give me cheap details to add :)
WKFO

Post by WKFO »

nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

So it was you?!
WKFO

Post by WKFO »

just don't tell anyone please