OPLI Barnard ship line.

Spacecrafts, buildings and other 3D asset creation
torham2234

Re: OPLI Barnard ship line.

Post by torham2234 »

This is very good news. its one more reason to use Ngons (especially on blocky models ). I had very little work in terms of vertex optimizing, and I am nearly ready to UV most of the model....
Evarchart

Post by Evarchart »

I just tried the Blender run around demo. Mind was blown. They look amazing to scale and being able to run around them made me feel a little giddy haha!
torham2234

Post by torham2234 »

nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Looks nice and industrial. :)
Some feedback:
The polycount is quite good.
There are some unoptimized areas, generally around and in the engine and maneuvering nozzles. Or that radar dome. You can remove some very thin triangles on those which doesn't really contribute to the form. Also you can remove the central vertex on the maneuvering nozzles, which means two tris minus on each nozzle. Not much, but why not if it's a minute's work? :)
The windshield feels a but small, compared to the other ships. I think the windshield of the Natrix, Amphiesma or Nerodia would fit it better.
The almost symmetric texturing/UV is a bit too obvious, at least for me. Nothing deal-breaker, but it adds a hint of dullness. Which could be intentional and fitting for a workhorse hauler.

I like the 1$ price, it's a nice touch that I didn't had to type in the ship switching command to give her a spin. :D It feels a bit too maneuverable compared to the Natrix and Nerodia.
Also we have to decide if it's atmo capable. If it is, then either the Natrix should be too, or Nerodia shouldn't. I vote for the former. If Nerodia can do a reentry, then I can't see much reason for the Natrix not to.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Unladen she feels good and manueverable, but then you'd expect that from a cargo transport :)
The cab of a truck can out accelerate most sports cars when it's not pulling anything else!

Looks great, I'd like to see some more patterns but they can wait until people feel like adding them.

Make it atmo' capable I say, only really obviously space-only or MASSIVE ships should be restricted from equipping atmo' shields and making planetfall I think.

Really nice work!
torham2234

Post by torham2234 »

nozmajner wrote:Looks nice and industrial. :)
Some feedback:
The polycount is quite good.
There are some unoptimized areas, generally around and in the engine and maneuvering nozzles. Or that radar dome. You can remove some very thin triangles on those which doesn't really contribute to the form. Also you can remove the central vertex on the maneuvering nozzles, which means two tris minus on each nozzle. Not much, but why not if it's a minute's work? :)
haha, I knew you will mention the RCS nozzles. Yes it needs tinkering around, but I just spend so much time on it, I was eager to push her out for a spin. I also need to do a low_lod model at some point...
nozmajner wrote:The windshield feels a but small, compared to the other ships. I think the windshield of the Natrix, Amphiesma or Nerodia would fit it better.
Hmm, I thought that just plain glass looks a bit dull. Also, for a transporter, most likely outfitted with turrets, you really do no need a wide open cockpit. But I can change it if you want.
nozmajner wrote: The almost symmetric texturing/UV is a bit too obvious, at least for me. Nothing deal-breaker, but it adds a hint of dullness. Which could be intentional and fitting for a workhorse hauler.
yes I wasn't very happy about it, but I had trouble fitting so much surface on the texture. In the end I gave up and just did a few faces of the asymmetric. UV mapping is the worst part for me , I really should look up some proper guides on how to UV map. For example I still do not know how you manage to UV your models so neatly.
nozmajner wrote: I like the 1$ price, it's a nice touch that I didn't had to type in the ship switching command to give her a spin. :D It feels a bit too maneuverable compared to the Natrix and Nerodia.
There is a command like that ?? If I want to test out a ship I have to find and buy it in the ship market ...
nozmajner wrote: Also we have to decide if it's atmo capable. If it is, then either the Natrix should be too, or Nerodia shouldn't. I vote for the former. If Nerodia can do a reentry, then I can't see much reason for the Natrix not to.
Not sure I am following you, I thought every ship can land on planet, just needs atmospheric shields ....
torham2234

Post by torham2234 »

FluffyFreak wrote:Unladen she feels good and manueverable, but then you'd expect that from a cargo transport :)
The cab of a truck can out accelerate most sports cars when it's not pulling anything else!

Looks great, I'd like to see some more patterns but they can wait until people feel like adding them.

Make it atmo' capable I say, only really obviously space-only or MASSIVE ships should be restricted from equipping atmo' shields and making planetfall I think.

Really nice work!
The acceleration is easily modified. Its just a few numbers in a text document. We can make it anything we want.

I will do another pattern, just a bit tired atm, I have been working on this ship pretty much 2 days straight. I am also waiting to see the new color selection system, should I have to change the pattern format somehow...
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

import("Game").player:SetShipType("ship") for ship changing. (Case sensitive, and "ship" is the name of the lua file for the given ship, without extension)
You can also use import("Game").player:AddMoney(amount) for quick cash or import("Game").player:AddEquip("EQUIPMENT") to add cargo or upgrades. There's a list of equipment and cargo constants in the lua documentatn on the wiki.

About the cockpit: currently it feels strange for me somehow, and the plainer one on the other ships look more believable.
Don't sweat on the symmetry too much, it works fine as is. And there are assymetric thing on it also, so it's not some total mirroring.

Not all ships can equip atmospheric shields, so they most likely burn up upon reentry, depending on speed. Also these ships can not be bought on surface stations. I can only name the Natrix which don't have atmo shield mount, but I think it should have too.
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

torham2234 wrote:Feedback please. :)
Awesome! I love it! Has a gritty feel with that worn texture.

From the screenshot I see nothing strange with the cockpit, but then I lack nozmajner's astute mind regarding these things.
nozmajner wrote:I can only name the Natrix which don't have atmo shield mount, but I think it should have too.
The Deep spaace miner doesn't support atmo shield either.

@torham2234 Really good work! Now I feel like a bastard for asking for more, but would it be possible to "milk" this model and make maybe a small bulk ship or something by just stretching out the tail section to make it 10 times longer?
DraQ

Post by DraQ »

Ok, I love this ship.

A few nitpicks and suggestions, though:

1. Those horizontal booms look pretty pointless (if cool). The best thing that could be done to justify their existence would be putting RCS nozzles on their tips for roll and yaw control. Giving your attitude thrusters leverage without spreading too much mass away from the center is really a good way to make the best of them and it's basically just a longer way of saying "booms".

2. The ship could use some asymmetry. I think the best way of going about it is making the general silhouette symmetrical, but break it up with surface detail and small components, for example the cockpit indentation could be moved to the side, maybe even intersecting the edge and looking chevron-like from the front, with the other one occupied by some protruding sensor pack - something intermediate between Sinonatrix' front lights and Nerodia's sensors.

3. I generally see this ship as a workhorse kind of ship. A multitask craft excelling in no single area but capable of turning its flexibility into a trump card of its own. A perfect craft for explorers and people prefering taking various odd jobs instead of sticking to a well defined career path. Boom mounted thrusters on an otherwise large-ish craft would help cement that.

Regarding atmospheric shields, I think maybe Pioneer could do away with those as separate bit of equipment and maybe make heating dependent entirely on hull. Atmospheric/planetary capability in general is more of a function of whether the ship has landing gear capable of supporting it weight and whether it can overcome planet's gravity than aerodynamics when you have a powerful fusion torch as your prime mover. As long as you have reaction mass left in your tanks you can always do controlled descent instead of fiery reentry.

Speaking of reentry - is there any way to make the heating shader treat all meshes as smooth shaded (in regards to normals)? As it is it looks really artificial on sharp, flat shaded geometry (but great on streamlined ships).