OPLI Barnard ship line.

Spacecrafts, buildings and other 3D asset creation
nozmajner

Re: OPLI Barnard ship line.

Post by nozmajner »

It is a lot better in my opinion. Maybe you could even reuse the gear of the Nerodia. I think the bevel proportion of that looks better.
Also I think I'd put the front legs a bit more forward, to the sides of that hatch.
torham2234

Post by torham2234 »

One completely shamelessly copy -pasted asset later...

I was surprised they fit the frame so well, It was nearly perfect with just a scale down...
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

Wow. Those legs are huge. :D I think it would be better if they were smaller, quite like on the Natrix or the Nerodia. This proportion of them is odd to me.
Maybe they need that large area to distribute the weight of the ship, to not damage the space port on high/normal gravity worlds?
torham2234

Post by torham2234 »

impaktor wrote:
Wow. Those legs are huge. :D I think it would be better if they were smaller, quite like on the Natrix or the Nerodia. This proportion of them is odd to me.
Maybe they need that large area to distribute the weight of the ship, to not damage the space port on high/normal gravity worlds?
Well, the front leg was so wide because I was going to do a little stairs in the middle, so it would serve as a boarding point for the crew. But I guess that would be just ripping of the ED Cobra mk III... :)
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

I think they look good this way.
They do need a large area, but we shouldn't go overboard with it much, because it would look odd.
Don't forget to apply the scale to the legs. It can screw with the animation.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

SHIP IT! :)
torham2234

Post by torham2234 »

Eh.. you guys have upgraded the engine? At the moment the model viewer is accepting Ngons as a valid face, with no distortion to the texture. Do I have to convert the mesh to tris, or can I leave Ngon faces? It would be really neat if we can import Ngon models and the game doesn't go haywire ...
Or maybe its the new blender 2.7, because suddenly there is no effort in mapping and texturing Ngon faces...
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

As far as I know there wasn't any upgrade like this. Lemme see the model, I'm curious. It might be that the triangulation option is checked on the exporter. Press Z in the model viewer for a wireframe.
torham2234

Post by torham2234 »

hmm, well, the game does triangulate the model, but there is no visible distortion of textures on the Ngon faces. I did some texting in blender and it seems they have upgraded the algorithm witch maps the Ngons. There is basically no difference in
the texture deformation, whether you triangulate or not. And the game seems to be happy with it as well...

This is a very crude import, basically I just did it to confirm I still knew how to implement models into he game (been a while).
As you can see the texture is good for the most part, despite the mesh consisting of masses of Ngons all over the place. pioneer did triangulate the model, but it seems it did it without destroying the texture layout...

http://www.mediafire.com/download/e74ao ... oreria.zip
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

It wasn't pioneer who triangulated, but the dae exporter in blender. It's not really a problem here, since it's a blocky model It can cause problems for the smooth shading if the model is more flowing, but not necessarily.
The only thing for keeping the it in quads is that it's easier to tweak the model that way, but it's not a real problem if we have the source file.
Usually triangulating don't screw up the UV, but it can happen, especially with very thin triangles or quads with strange proportion or shape.