Lodos Auronox Freighter

Spacecrafts, buildings and other 3D asset creation
WKFO

Lodos Auronox Freighter

Post by WKFO »

https://ufile.io/hg0et
@nozmajner: I reduced the tri count significantly.

I don't have ship stats yet but I am planning to make a high-performance freighter with a cargo space of a little less than our typical medium cargo ships.
(Like a big Mola Mola with a different shape)

Tags aren't complete.

I kinda know how to paint textures but I am very bad at it and I still couldn't figure out how to hide the UV lines in the texture file (I never really got how layers work). I also couldn't figure out how we will texture the landing gear because it is a completely different set of animated objects.

Oh, fine, OK, I don't know how to texture.
https://pioneerwiki.com/wiki/Making_you ... #Texturing
VivienneA

Re: Auronox Freighter

Post by VivienneA »

The method I did for the texture was making the UV lines for each object. Then combining them and doing a UV unwarp with it all joined. Then I went back and separated the legs and other the major parts. If that helps.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Sorry for the late reply, I was swamped. I'll take a look at the model tomorrow, but at the first glance there are a bunch of unneded geometry.
I'd show you how I'm doing the texturing, but my routine in that is a bit rusty. And we hope to use the decal method, which is much simpler, but needs some in-game testing and possibly adjustments to work.
WKFO

Post by WKFO »

I've completed fixing the models. If anyone wants to see the ship, these are the blender files:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hagst3m7xw2o2 ... s.zip?dl=0

It barely fits a medium sized ship slot.
Ship stats are not yet complete.

I just need to do the UV-ing (I've been very unsuccessful so far (bloody hell, this thing stretches all over the place)) and texturing and it will be done! (Right?)
nozmajner

Re: Lodos Auronox Freighter

Post by nozmajner »

Here comes the UV-ed High LOD.
There is minimal stretching, but since it's a quite organic shape, a little of it is unavoidable.
I haven't UV-ed the low LOD, because it's much easier to grab the already UV-ed high and reduce, than to reUV.
Some little parts share UVs/Mesh data.

I've also fixed the scaling, and rebaked the animation without scaling. In general it's good not to scale in object mode, to avoid problems. Same goes to moving meshes in edit mode (so they leave their origins floating somewhere. Makes fixing/transferring animations harder.
And there were some stray ngons on the main nozzles and around the booleaned areas that needed fixing. This also got rid of about 120 tris. There could be some more room for optimisation, but it would rid the topology, and would make any later adjustments harder.

I've put all the parts in one blend file:
1. layer: high
2. layer: low
11. layer: empties
12. layer: collision - fixed some odd ngons here too
13. layer: shield - I've set the scale for this two, and raised the subsurf to level 2, for smoother looks.

Hope this helps. :)
WKFO

Post by WKFO »

Thanks! I will start working on textures.
WKFO

Post by WKFO »

I started working on it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mecn05q1hauca ... V.xcf?dl=0

I separated the hull into several large panels. There are lots of scratches on open front parts (faces looking towards the general direction of travel) and less towards the back parts. There is also a very noticable amount of panel wear. Inner part of radiator panels will have a bit of red glow. There are black burning marks near exhausts.

Please note I made this to roughly give people an idea, this is probably not going to be the file I keep working on. I need time and practise to learn.
This is my first time ever texturing anything, so comments would be helpful. (You can come up with paint patterns as well)

As I'm searching the internet for tutorials, I could also use advice on creating specular textures.
WKFO

Post by WKFO »

These are the ship stats I'm testing with:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ktqtrha7f3qkz ... .json?dl=0

Performs well when empty.
When full (fuel tanks 100 percent and cargo loaded to full capacity) the reverse thrusters barely lift the craft up on Earth. (required for autopilot landings, as far as i've observed) Bottom thrusters are more powerful.

Thrusters are generally not very high-thrust but the ship has a pretty good Delta V. (Just below 22.000km/s empty, just above 12.000km/s full)
No missiles, no weapons, pure civilian. Relies on hull strenght and high cruise speed for defense. Install shields and ECM for additional luck.

Cheaper and lower capacity compared to other ships of same class. The kind of ship you want to take to go camping with your family/friends.

Did I mention? It has a pretty comfortable cockpit and crew cabins. Also talents of Auronox engineers allowed the ship to be embedded with latest HAL computers and all the ship systems can be run without human interaction, reducing the minimum crew to 1. (Warranty void if deactivated.)
WKFO

Post by WKFO »

In case anyone wants to take a look, this is roughly what I had in my mind while designing:
https://imgur.com/a/A0K92Il
(Excuse my drawing)

Changing anything in the internal design wouldn't change anything in the development process so this is not really relevant. The ship isn't very ugly, and makes a bit of scientific sense, that's what matters.

Everything that the crew needs to reach is close to the front part, everything the crew does not need to bother with are located at rear side (except in-flight repairs). Not only that, they are also in a priority order.

You are in cockpit.
-----------------------
You need to take a pee?
Cut your finger?
The door right behind you!
***(Green area, crew requirements)
-----------------------
You knocked the antennas on launch and you need to realign them?
One of the landing gears are not extending?
Hyperdrive systems are out of sync?
Life support automation failed?
Take the toolbox, the third corridor on your left.
***(Blue area, ship control systems. Systems that are more vital and are more easily fixable in-flight.)
-----------------------
One of the cargo boxes went loose? Well, you have a lot of time to fix it and it is not really a life-threatening problem.
The telescope mirror shattered? Well, it is not like you are going to be able to fix it. Just prepare your wallet.
Cargo on fire? Just open the airlocks.
Slave revolt? Just open the airlocks.
***(Yellow area, cargo/payload).
-----------------------
Fuel leak? It is not like you can weld a fuel tank up in time that's throwing away highly pressurised hydrogen out of every hole.
Reactor explosion? Be thankful the bridge is on the opposite side of the ship.
Radiator overheat? Stay in the bridge and apply safety protocols. You were not planning spray water on them, right?
***(Red and orange area, propulsion systems)
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

Cool. But where's the flux capacitor?
;)