What Needs Modeling Ships/Spacestations?

Spacecrafts, buildings and other 3D asset creation
DevilsProductions

What Needs Modeling Ships/Spacestations?

Post by DevilsProductions »

What Needs Modeling/How detailed you want the Models to be, New to the Websight and for my first post I want to get my hands dirty smiles so my question is what needs modeled and is it a free for all kinda thing in the dev forums where we just make what we want and import them into the game engine just nooob here lol or do we have set guidelines on how stuff looks

DevilsProductions
nozmajner

Re: What Needs Modeling Ships/Spacestations?

Post by nozmajner »

Hi and welcome!
Well, free for all isn't really desirable if we want something coherent. Visual guidline is in the works, you can find the draft of it down in this forum. You can also find some thumbnail sketches. also here's a draft about ship parts too. If you want to get your hands dirty, you should check these first.
Triangle count is about 10,000 for the highest lod, if you are making a small/medium ship. You can go a bit higher for larger ships. The DSMiner has about 18k for example. You need proper a UV map, preferably without much overlaping, so you can bake in an ambient occlusion map. Texture should be bright enough to make use of the pattern system for custom colouring.
Here's the description of the model system.

Greebling and kit bashing is a big no-no, try to be sane with the details both on the model and the texture. Beware of horror vacuii, that's a nasty thing we should avoid. Empty areas aren't the incarnation of devil really, and they can add a place of rest to the eye and define rythm too.
Wear and weathering should be on the texture to make the ships more alive.

I think you should check out the sketch and atr style thread above and pick a thumbnail you like, then check out the existing ships from that manufacturer, so you can see where to aim. And you don't have to rush anything, so think and iterate the design properly and ask for feedback here as much as needed. You csn check the threads about ships in this forum too. And not least of importance: have fun doing ships!
DevilsProductions

ok good starts,next question do you want them to have interior how really extensive is this engine for space after seeing previews of another game I seen in develpoment that uses space "SpaceCivic" or something like it that, anyways lets keep the posts coming really excided to get into development will look at the pictures and stuff thanks
DevilsProductions

Also on a side note: might you all upload a movie on a up to date release of Pioneer in video format like within the last couple of days on youtube that way I know its fresh and people can also see other new stuff on it most of the pictures and videos are old just want to see what I am up against with ships already in the world and also see the cool stuff...if anyones up to it please really show the world a good tour of this engine from space exploration down to the surfaces of the planets..I know I could do it but the sad part of it all is well computer is so old that all I can really do is model things at the moment in blender anyways please thanks but sadly cant even use the renderer of clouds which I so wish I could play with but more and more videos will show up on hwo to us it more and more and by the time I get to play with it I just might have a cloudgasm because I so want to play with blenders render system ok got that out lol Peace