Making some additional paint patterns (updated 27 Aug 2018)

Spacecrafts, buildings and other 3D asset creation
Keeper

Making some additional paint patterns (updated 27 Aug 2018)

Post by Keeper »

Latest updates:
27 August 2018: Additional patterns for Venturestar -- see later post about new building and station textures as well
6 February 2018: Additional patterns for Pumpkinseed, plus re-doing changes to its primary textures from original assets
31 Jan 2018: Added new Deep Space Miner updates
30 Jan 2018: Added Xylophis and Amphiesma updates
20 Jan 2018: Added additional Bowfin update

This was mentioned in my station graphics thread, but here's a separate post for it.

http://www.keeper1st.com/pioneer/newtexes.zip

Some of the paint schemes here are for ships that currently aren't set up to have patterns, so you'll have to remove the .sgm files of those ships in order to see the paint patterns (any ships where you see a .model file in that archive, e.g. bluenose, bowfin, dsminer, xylophis -- possibly others I don't recall off the top of my head). Some paint patterns replace the default ones (such as the lunar shuttle where I've made its fuel tank a randomly painted colour to break up the mass of grey at the back).

And some I'm not too thrilled with at the moment. Anyway, here's a collage of a few examples.
Last edited by Keeper on Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:25 am, edited 6 times in total.
FluffyFreak

Re: Making some additional paint patterns

Post by FluffyFreak »

They look good, always nice to have more examples and uses as well.

Do you know how to create a PR on GitHub?
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Nice!
clausimu

Post by clausimu »

Will they be included in the game at some point or will they be only shared as additional module that we have to download here?
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

One of us could PR them for you if you'd prefer us to do that Keeper?
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

I don't know much about how GitHub works really, so by all means, do what you will with 'em. (Likewise with the station updates.) I'm not entirely happy with the one that looks rather like a Nike logo, to be honest. Maybe I can tweak that into some wings or something more interesting. (And that new design for the Sinonatrix is pretty ugly most of the time, but hey, maybe some pilots prefer an ugly ship!)

Eventually I'll work on a few others. The Xylophis needs something -- maybe that door on the side can be given a colour (ideally perhaps a decal as well -- will random decals ever return?).
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Just added another Bowfin design to the zip, inspired by your sketch, nozmajner:
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Painting ships tonight, I noticed that the Xylophis has a paint pattern file, but it doesn't show up. First, I thought it was because the texture uses too dark of a shade for it to work (which is true), but that didn't fix it either. I discovered that the entire ship seems to be drawn using the "Exaust" (sic) material instead of using both the "Material" material and the "Exaust" material that has less (virtually no) specular mapping applied. That's why the ship appears so flat. The specular map (dark though it is apart from the welds) simply isn't getting used anywhere to much extent (for the "Exaust" naturally has only a specular level of 0.1 0.1 0.1 as it was intended for drawing the dirty engines -- not the entire body of the ship, I'm sure).

Maybe there's a reason for that of which I'm not aware.

Anyway, I simply added the use_patterns line to the "Exaust" material settings in the .model file and now the patterns work (having modified the existing one and made two additional ones). Since the specular map texture already prevents the engines from being shiny, I adjusted the specular settings on that material too, so the ship gets some light reflection now also. You can download the files here: http://www.keeper1st.com/pioneer/xylophispaint.zip

Since making that zip I've even tried removing the material "Material" entirely from the .model file and the ship seems to look exactly the same, so I guess that entire section is redundant and can be removed.

nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Nice catch with the Xylophis. I didn't notice that issue (and the ship is in the game since a while even...)
Nice patterns too.
I can't make a PR with these fixes right now, could somebody do it?

Your images aren't showing up for some reason. Where do you linking them from?
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Linking from my own unlimited web space at keeper1st.com. Maybe the server was down at the moment you tried to look, or your browser can't display PNG files in line...?

The Xylophis addition (with the redundant material call removed from the .model file) is added to the main zip file, as well as an improved pattern and glow map for the Amphiesma. Tonight also re-visited the DSMiner from the original PNG, and added a pattern with a subtle colouring of the side braces as well as a coloured Haber logo on the nose (after all, a truck really should have its logo up front!), in addition to making its window lights dimmer and yellower.

(As for the station files, I downloaded Krita but the files still say they are looking for other files which aren't present. Maybe I need Inkscape as well...?)