Spacecrafts, buildings and other 3D asset creation
Nyankosensei

Idea for orbital station

Post by Nyankosensei »

this is just what i have in mind

Ray

Re: Idea for orbital station

Post by Ray »

Look nice, where is the place for station's mechanics? It should have some, right?
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Where does the gravity comes from? There's no artificial gravity in Pioneer, so you want to build a spinning station if you care for the bones and muscles of the inhabtants.
Something along the line of O'Neill's cylinder, Stanford torus(like the current ones), Bernal spheres. Hell, even the Rama or Niven's huge ringworld displayed properly, I've tried those sizes with simple geometry.
Nyankosensei

Post by Nyankosensei »

Ok this is out, this game have to mantain a certain realism on fisic dinamics, and a simple spaceport with cargo facilities ?
a pad for little and medium ships and cargo facilities outside

I can place some containers stock, just a commercial little station
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Can't really see too much about how would this work right now. Would you mind elaborating this sketch a bit more?
Nyankosensei

Post by Nyankosensei »

here is the idea, need be added some surviving system like solar panels oxigen stock etc etc

is only a concept, space with 0 gravity is usefull for moving and stock heavy cargo, just a far commercial outpost like customhouse
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

That's a good point, for larger stations rotation is sensible, but for smaller outposts then a zero-g environment could actually be an advantage.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Yeah, smaller freefall stations would be good for sure. And/ormoving parts for habitation and non-moving parts for other things would be nice too. I'm thinking about animatable parts mostly, but if we can define different rotation periods for separate parts, that would be nice too.(The engineering questions about hubs and such might be sidestepped mostly in my opinion if we don't overdo it).
@NyankoSensei: that sketch is still a bit vague about the functions. Are the cargo areas connected to the main station for example? If it won't be rotating, then why bother making landing pads if all you need is a strut or something to connect the ships to?mif it will rotate, where is the axis? And how would you land your craft on the other side if the axis happens to go trough it and the cylinder of the habitation module. What is the size of the structure?
Nyankosensei

Post by Nyankosensei »

For sizes is not too small becose need to carry at least 4 big ships, nothing is rotating and probably not connected but shuttled with light ships, but this is only 1 idea if is possiple animate them, orientation of cargo facilities need to be redone for make possible multiple approach-leaving and for improve unload-load of cargo, i can make some boa for arriving and departing procedures, they use pad light for make possible follow the path
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

In real life if the stuff isn't connected, it would drift away slowly because of orbit differences. Even very small differences matter and get amplified over tome. I don't think it's a real problem, since there are other stuff of reality we are sidestepping or ignoring, but it's good to be aware of them.