My old, incomplete ship model

Spacecrafts, buildings and other 3D asset creation
WKFO

My old, incomplete ship model

Post by WKFO »

You might start to think I am spamming the forum with random stuff...
*ahem

I have seen vehicles like "Liberator Criuser" from Star Wars http://rpggamer.org/shippics/liberator.jpg and "F63 Condor" from Elite Dangerous http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/F63_Condor
Some time ago, I drew a sketch kind-of similar to these vehicles with the original intention of creating a Solar Federation capital ship. Why you ask? Back then; I had that idea of being able to buy military grade equipment only from military bases (...captial ships, I mean). You would only land on military bases if you were alleged to the military of that faction. Then I threw this idea out of the window, but the ship design remained.

Then, recently I modified and transformed that vessel into a much diferent vessel, a freighter. (In smaller sizes, it may also look pretty much like a fighter.) I think we have enough freighters already but someday someone might use this as a base for new spacecraft so I will share the blend model here:
https://files.fm/u/g78nzzr4 (It is a prett small sized model btw, in means of 3D volume)

It doesn't have any textures, any landing gear or models for lateral thrusters. Just the hull (and the cargo space), cockpit and main engines. The "armored" look doesn't really fit to a freighter but I don't really know how to call this ship. Yet another deep-space-miner?
nozmajner

Re: My old, incomplete ship model

Post by nozmajner »

These stuff are in no way spam, don't worry. :)
Looks interesting, although a bit Star Wars-ish.
And the function of those slanted thick planes aren't really clear.
Also I assumed that the direction of flight is what my arrow shows:
This way those little cylinders could act like retro thrusters, albeit quite huge ones, and the huge cylinder as very huge main engine.
I also assumed that the thin on the top is the bridge.

I could imagine it as a Haber tanker (not SolFed), but I'd approach it this way:
As a huge Haber tanker that could lurk around space stations (but the player could not buy it)
I practically rotatet it on it's length axis, and mirrored. I turned the bridge into two nacelles housing both the retros and mains. And turned that big cylinder into a huge tank. This way it's a bit more pronounced vertically, than horizontally, avoiding the ship in space feel.
What do you think?
WKFO

Re: My old, incomplete ship model

Post by WKFO »

Good to see someone already doing sth with it :)
(No I am not waiting to see it in game orbsth)

I didnt create any retro thrusters so far and two cylinders were the main engines. The huge-er cylinder was a part of cargo hold, along with the box-like parts.

As I said I didnt create it with the intention of a freighter so I really like to see what could be done to it.