Courier

Spacecrafts, buildings and other 3D asset creation
impaktor

Re: Courier

Post by impaktor »

MERGE!

Also, I wonder how many "free" ships this model could render? I.e. could you make a small version, or some tweeked version that gives a significant different ship, with very little work effort? Can parts be reused?
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

Ha! Thanks impaktor :)

Unfortunately there is a LOT left to do on this (and a lot I need to remember). Its slowly marching in the right direction tho.
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

To answer the second part of your question - unfortunately Im not sure there is much of this model that is reusable, everything is pretty blended and clipped. The nose detail is currently a separate object so Im guessing that could be swapped out. Looking back I didnt save the nacelles as separate objects so if I wanted to reuse them they would have a big hole where they meet the wing stubs. May be we could start a parts bin of engines, cockpits weapons, gear etc...? This way people like me can come along and have a single place to pick parts from rather than having to dig through all the blend files.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Yeah, a nice parts bin would be good. :)
Maybe we could start with the already existing stuff that could be ripped from current models. Like your nacelles could be patched up. Same goes for the nacelles of the Malabar for example, just to stay in nacelle realm. But Heat sink flaps could also go there, or landing gears for example.
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

nozmajner wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:10 pm Yeah, a nice parts bin would be good. :)
Maybe we could start with the already existing stuff that could be ripped from current models. Like your nacelles could be patched up. Same goes for the nacelles of the Malabar for example, just to stay in nacelle realm. But Heat sink flaps could also go there, or landing gears for example.
For models that are yet to be merged, I say slice and dice as you think might be useful in the future, but for models already in master, only do it if it will actually be used.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Whatever happened to this model?
Did real life go and get in the way again?
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Ping!

Hoping that there's some progress or that we can get a look at the files with a view to getting this merged one day.
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

Hi All,

I realise I have left this thread hanging and I apologise for my absence.

I put this down to a combination of excuses: Real Life, house purchase, multiple job changes, mini-bob and a catastrophic loss of files for this project :(

As for the latter I was able to piece together the primary .blend and .xcf from backups but lost some work in the .xcf and Im worried that I have borked the UVs in the blend.

I have uploaded what I have been able to recover to my personal github fork if anyone wants to grab a copy: https://github.com/BobTheTerrible/pione ... ee/courier

The textures are actually the bluenose textures and are there simply as place holders to remind me that I need to add them later.

I'd honestly like to finish this model off but given my time is pretty stretched at the moment I wouldn't complain if someone wanted to take over and keep this thread updated.

Once I get my head around the UI changes in Blender I will see if I can sort out the UV map so at least the textures will all line up.

Again, apologies for my absence and many thanks to @impaktor for chasing up on me.

Best,
Bob
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Hi!
Thank you very much. A rather nicely done model.
There's no need to apologise, life is like that. Hope you are well.
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

Hi Noz,

All good, just stretched in many directions at the moment. Im glad impaktor chased me up for this model - it would have been a shame for all the effort to be lost in the depths of a TimeMachine backup under my desk.

It has also jolted me in to revisiting the project and see where I left off. Despite losing the latest copy of the .xcf I do still have the final, collapsed .png meaning I could use this for temporary rendering. The problem Im struggling with right now is that I seem to have lost my UV map (or at least I cannot overly it on the texture) - Im ashamed to say that I have been away for so long that I have forgotten much of what I learnt with the Bluenose. If I have borked the UV map Im worried that I will have rebuild the texture from scratch, at which point I might as well start over with a new model :-/

Bob