Courier

Spacecrafts, buildings and other 3D asset creation
bobtheterrible

Re: Courier

Post by bobtheterrible »

GIMP, air-bush, smudge and a numb fingertip!

I think this works to give the ship an "everyday-used" feel. Im not sure it fits in with the rest of the Pioneer style but it is only a layer.

Its a similar strategy as before - section off a panel using the Free Select Tool, work around the edge with a black patterned air-brush with Dynamics set to random, however this time smudge the results around until the desired effect is reached.

Image Image

And a few discoloured panels:

What do ppl think?
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

I'd say it's a bit too much. I mean, the paneling lines feel to emphasized,as if they were several cm gaps.

I'm going to paint some paterns this weekend for you, I just have to get around to it.
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

Quick update. I have taken Noz's advice and thinned down the panel lines to about .5 of a pixel with antialiasing. I have also nearly finished distressing various body panels. It looks a little dark in places but that is easily lightened if needed.

Larger image
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Sorry, it took me a bit more to do actually come up with something, bet here they are:
Two patterns for now, and a variant for each. (They link to larger versions)
And no explicit color schames, I'll leave that to the pattern system. :)

bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

Thanks Noz, they look great!! I will have a play with those ideas and will see what I can come up with in GIMP.

Bob :)
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

I haven't slavishly followed Noz's mock-ups but they were invaluable in getting to this point. Still playing around.....

ImageImage
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Lookin' nice!

And I realised, what was missing for me: Heat sinks. There should be heat sinks somewhere on this ship. Maybe on the side of the nacelles, or on the top and bottom of the wingstubs.
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

Yes. Heatsinks :)

I had left the side panels on the nacelles clear. I was thinking of painting on some sinks and using a normal map to give them some relief. I was thinking of adding flappy-paddle heatsinks but realised by that point I had run out of space on my diff to paint them!
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

Some colour schemes:

Image Image Image
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Lookin' good!