Courier

Spacecrafts, buildings and other 3D asset creation
nozmajner

Re: Courier

Post by nozmajner »

Do you still have the Mirror modifier, or already applied it? Because by default the UV islands of the sides will share the texture place, so you don't need to do anything else with them to work.
Also I'd say you could ditch the Edge split modifier, because Blender supports split normals/amooth groups for some versions now, which makes our life a bit easier, and it might even result in a lighter .dae file in the end. And it exports to Pioneer properly. The Bowfin has it for example.
You just need to turn on Auto smooth on the mesh tab, and mark the edges sharp the same way you would with the edge split modifier. The drawback is that UV unwraping won't take it into account, but it's easy to mark all sharp edges as seams too: Select a shar edge, press shift+G-->Sharpness, Mark Seams, and voilá!
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

Thanks noz for the great advice - was able to figure it out and should have much better resolution as a result :)

I have started working on the panel lines. Im going to try to keep them simple, I dont want this ship to be as busy as the Bluenose.

Work is a bit crazy at the moment and am not getting much time to work on this... slowly slowly...

nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Looks nice!
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

Hi All,

Work has given me a bit of a break and my lego project has finally come to a close so I thought it was time I made some progress on the Courier. I have started reworking the panel lines (yet) again in an attempt to get closer to something a little more realistic. I had also started playing around with some weathering ideas but unfortunately I forgot to save my work and it vanished into the digital oblivion before I could take screen shots.

Anyways, here is a taster to what I am currently up to:

Image Image
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Aww that looks great!
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Looks really neat!
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

Now she is all dolled up, time to get a bit of dirt on her :)

Noz, I have a favour to ask? Could I ask you to think about some colour schemes and patterns for this ship? Every time I try to come up with something it looks a bit lame. Im happy to do it myself in-model but I could do with a hand with some inspiration /:)
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

That looks amazing! Great work!
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

@bobtheterrible: sure! May I ask for some larger screenshots to paint over? Also: that ship looks pretty good!
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

Cheers Guys! :D

I have taken some larger screen shots for you to play with, let me know if you need anything else.

Rear
Bottom
Side
Angle

Bob :)