Courier

Spacecrafts, buildings and other 3D asset creation
bobtheterrible

Re: Courier

Post by bobtheterrible »

Oh no :-( .........if the fuselage is off centre everything else will either be off with it, or not - which is worse. I think all the empties are orientated according to global coordinates. All the fuselage meshes are off by the same amount, I dont know what happened. This is going to be very, very painful :'-(

Thanks for spotting that Noz - I certainly had not seen it.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

It's not that bad. You can parent up everything to the main fuselage, recenter that, then deparent everything with the Clear Parent end Keep Transform option.
Only the rear gear will need some manual fixing, since it is the only one that has location keyframes. But you might be able to just keep them parented.
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

Thanks Noz,

When you said it was off centre I thought it had been rotated not moved. Were that the case I would have had to go through each empty and tweak them so that they lined up correctly after rotating the fuselage (my 2010 macbook is really struggling with blender 2.8 so Im having to deal with a bit of cursor lag and really didnt want to have to go through that). As it happened, it was lined up correctly not centred in the world. Your suggestion of parenting the rear gear stands worked and the whole lot moved along with the key frames.

I have relocated the labels and tweaked the number of missiles.

Unless there is anything glaring I have missed, I feel like Im at the end of this model. At this point it is up to you guys now with what you want to do with it /:-)

Bob
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

Super cool! Looking forward to getting this beauty into the game!
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Thanks bobtheterrible! Sadly ship creation has slowed down on my end to a halt, so especially thank you for keeping ship-ing alive! :) I have to dig myself out from that under the hood level where I'm at now with the workflow soon. I'm there because I really hate doing the the texturing, and I'm hoping to devise a much better workflow, but it takes a lot of time sadly.

I'll wrap it up this evening and do a PR.
Impaktor: how do I credit bob in the commit?
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

git commit --author=BobTheTerrible
and add a --amend if it's to an already existing commit (i.e. already visible in git log).

However, we might not want to do this in git, but instead set up a git-lfs (git large file support), but we can have that discussion in the PR, or IRC. Would involve me/fluffy/sturnclaw to set it up. I'm not sure if that is opening a pandoras box on travis, appveyor as well.

Src:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/304 ... fic-commit
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

Thank you Both!

You are more than welcome. I would not have got this far without your tuition and support :) I have had the opportunity to learn something new and I wanted to make sure I gave something back - something better than the Bluenose at least!

Noz, I know how it gets. You consistently make some really nice ships so it will good day when you can lift your head back into the sunlight :) The stuff you are doing with the new workflow looks super interesting. Also because, if I start a new project - and given how long they can take me - if there is a possibility I could use it and generate a better model then I would love to do that. Again if there is any help I can give, even just some menial tasks, let me know.

Also, I think it is about time I retire my trusty MacBook and move on to something a bit more capable :'-)

Bob
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Aaaand it's up! \o/
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

Woooo!
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Regarding the looks/workflow project, extra eyes on that is definitelly helpful.
The repo might be a better place for discussing stuff related to that, the forum can be quite unwieldy compared to github.