Courier

Spacecrafts, buildings and other 3D asset creation
bobtheterrible

Re: Courier

Post by bobtheterrible »

Thats a great little model, I especially love the inflatable section as a concept :D
It might be paid-for, but DecalMachine looks really impressive...

@Keeper, I have just pushed up some dirt to my repo. I have also tweaked the panel lines, paths and normal to bring them a little closer to the original xcf.

https://github.com/BobTheTerrible/pione ... _ao_hr.xcf
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Is there any update/progress to the textures? If so, I'll update the PR.
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

I have updated the paths xcf on my repo in case Keeper wanted to play with them.

If I get chance this weekend I will see if I can produce some updated diffs with patterns. If you dont hear back from me before then, I have likely been distracted and you should assume Im no going to deliver in time :)

If Keeper beats me to it, then by all means take his :-D
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

I have patterns!! Although, they are a bit crap :(

I have managed to get both colours represented in pattern.jpg however they have a few issues:
  • The patterns have a very hard edge (I have antialiasing turned off)
  • Where the two colours meet Im still getting artefacts even with antialiasing turned off
  • The random colours are.... bold... a bit too bold. Is there a way I can make one of them pastel'y?
Bob
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

I was unable to replicate the pattern behaviour in Gimp. No clone layers and such sadly.
I managed to do it in Krita though, but it needs some fixing still. I'll upload it into the looks repo when I figure it out.
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

Hey Noz,

Just a quick bump on this thread. Were you able to make any progress with the patterns in Krita? If you have an example I could play with I could have a go myself?

Bob
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Sorry, no, I was distracted by work, and forgot about it. I'll try to figure out something.
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

Hi All,

I have updated my repo with two pattern files: pattern00 (from keeper) and pattern1 (my attempt at two colours). At this point I think I have gone about as far as I can. Despite separating colour 1 and 2 in pattern1, pattern00 still looks better in-game. As such you might want to disable pattern1...

Otherwise Im happy for this to be merged.

Bob
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Sorry; I tend to disappear for long periods of time. I get fixated on different things for certain periods of time. To make the colors less bold, simply use a gray in the Alpha channel. The darker the pattern is in the Alpha, the less pure the color will be. For the cleanest patterns, do the pattern in the Alpha only -- use the RGB for general area blobs (or for a single-color pattern, a solid color for the entire image, with the pattern done in Alpha). Doing the pattern in RGB will result in artifacts on the edges because the file compression makes the edges fuzzy, which will trigger an alternative color at some point.

(Obviously this means any pattern where two colors meet is destined to have artifacts where they join no matter what.)
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

This is now merged, thanks Bob for finishing this, and nozmajner for guiding, and eveyrone else who contributed.