Little ship, opl Barnard Xylophis short range shuttle

Spacecrafts, buildings and other 3D asset creation
nozmajner

Re: Little ship

Post by nozmajner »

Yupp, ship stats are all over the place, especially the older ones. Amphiesma, Deneb, Venturestar and the Kaluri ships got their based on their volume.
Have you checked the sketch thread? There are some other OPLI thumbnails (#22 - Nerodia - a large one, #23 Balanophis, Atretium - larger ones too) there too you might want to look at.
A large (bulk) ship is welcome though.

What's the name of your ship? For now, all two OPLI ships got their name after Natricinae snakes.
Nyankosensei

Post by Nyankosensei »

i tell him little ship :), sorry but i have no fantasy for names and my english is very poor, if you have something in mind is really welcome, for big ship i have see your sketches but for me navigation tower for big ships is a cult, for match bettr the line i can do a 3x large natrix with a more compact tower and a design more like the amphiesma with ailerons on side and engine cooling up and down the body

After check your link i think i can tell him Rhabdophis
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

How about Xylophis Short Range Shuttle?
It's a small snake.

That large sketch could be an OPLI ship, don't let me divert you. I would play around with the proportions a bit though, the bridge/nav tower looks way oversized.
Nyankosensei

Post by Nyankosensei »

nozmajner wrote:How about Xylophis Short Range Shuttle?
It's a small snake.

That large sketch could be an OPLI ship, don't let me divert you. I would play around with the proportions a bit though, the bridge/nav tower looks way oversized.
Selled !!
Nyankosensei

Re: Little ship, opl Barnard Xylophis short range shuttle

Post by Nyankosensei »

now i have some ask

point 0 is ingame baricenter ?

How i add trust and lights ?

how work gear animation ?
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

As far as I know, the object's origin is the baricenter. Never checked though, I always have my stuff at 0,0,0.

Here's the full description of the model system.

tl;dr: Place an empty, a single arrow one. This arrow will point in the direction your thruster is firing (the Z axis), Now you name it as thruster_ or thruster_linear_. Linear will only fire at translation, plain thruster will fire at rotation too. The main engine should be thruster_linear. The size of the empty is the size of the exhaust flame, but keep the scale uniform, or the flame will elongate/squash. The engine will know from the directions which thrusters should be fired when rotating.

Light are empties too, I recomend sphere. Name it navlight_red_, navlight_green_ or navlight_. Red goes to the left, green to the right side, and they will blink, any other navlight_ will be blue, and won't blink.
Edit: I've mistíped the navlight name, it should be navlight_, not nav_light_!

Animations usually go trough if they are linear interpolated. If you are using ease-in/ease out, then you should bake it first. Press space, type in bake action, and check what's needed. If you are using constraints or parenting, then check the clear... boxes.
Animation must be set up in the model file.
Last edited by nozmajner on Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zordey

Post by Zordey »

Nyankosensei wrote:now i have some ask
point 0 is ingame baricenter ?
Yes 0,0,0 should be the center of the ship (or the center of rotation if you have an odd shaped ship)

Keep it up, its starting to look good :)
Nyankosensei

Post by Nyankosensei »

thanks at all for help, now with some explanathions is really easy made a good job, and nozmajner have really good thinks about style design and have drive me to the right way

now i'm able to import it in modelviewer and landing gears after some tries now work fine

probably i have used bad lights names for that don't appears, i have to check .

Some hints for material ?
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Great!
Yeah, I've mistyped the navlight empty names in my previous post, its navlight_ not nav_light. Sorry about that. (edited the post to have it correct)
Maybe you should make the RCS thrusters smaller, somewhere 60-50%. Right now they are a bit disproportionate and look overpowered for a small craft like this. Not the blocks, just the nozzle holes.

First you should do a proper UV map, so you are able to bake in an Ambient Occlusion to use as a texture base. If you use the morror modifier, you can tell it to mirror UV-s too on each axis. That practically halves the work of unwrapping.
Make a light texture without any color, so it can use the pattern system for color customization.
I usually draw a vague sketch onto the model, mostly for the paneling, then I make the proper plating. When I'm happy with the plating, I paint on the weathering and grime/dirt, make the color and details, and then I composite it in GIMP. Usually I paint the glow map by hand too.
Nyankosensei

Post by Nyankosensei »

For texturing, you are telling soo hard for my blender knowlenge, but i try to document now,

nozzle exit scaled but i have some problems with gear, modelviewer show the animation right but ingame is totally out, i have 3 animation and i have created 3 objects but probably i do something wrong in bone name associations or in .model file