Little ship, opl Barnard Xylophis short range shuttle

Spacecrafts, buildings and other 3D asset creation
Nyankosensei

Little ship, opl Barnard Xylophis short range shuttle

Post by Nyankosensei »

For fun i have made this little ship 10 tons capable, just for lvl 1 hyperdrive and 1 passenger or courier deliveries

now i have to made textures and find how to import it in pioneer

And that is the final version

Updated 27-09-2013

48 m³ ship 12T cargo, capable of 27ly with 1tons of fuel and hyperdrive lvl1

Suggestions are welcome

Thanks
Last edited by Nyankosensei on Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:38 am, edited 9 times in total.
nozmajner

Re: Little ship

Post by nozmajner »

It's a nice sketch of a very light OPLI Barnard shuttle.
You should check out the Natrix and Amphiesma, and their manufacturer's descriptions.
The landing legs are a bit oversized, and the maneuvering thrusters are too big for a ship this small.

I drew some suggestions for you about this craft on the bus from memory, I will post them when I get my hands on a camera afternoon.

Is that a 2.49 Blender screenshot? :D
Nyankosensei

Post by Nyankosensei »

i take care of yours suggest , but for legs don't seems oversized, for 15 tons ship i think are right, yes is blender 2.49 sorry but i'm not able to work with 2.5,

for now i have started texturing

and finally this is the concept

My think is to make a set with all size ships, but for now i have to do right this one
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

I don't think it's a good idea to start a new set of ships, if those ships will look much like an existing line. OPLI Barnard in this case.
I think you should play around with the details and proportions a bit before finalizing the design. Play with the form and shape a bit. Right now it looks like an old elite or frontier ship. Make it a bit more interesting. Look at the front RCS blocks of the Amphiesma for example. Or the gun mount of the Natrix.
Here's what I came up with, based on your model:
I've drew it from memory, so the proportions are a bit different.

15 tonnes is nothing. A fully loaded mig-29 is at the same mass, and it has more slender undercarriage. This should be even lighter. The Amphiesma is only 18t and it's bigger.
Also, one engine should be more than enough for a ship this small, no need for two. Except for redundancy.
And there should be some heat radiators on it. Nothing elaborate, just a visual nod towards the heat problem. Again, check Amphiesma or Pumpkinseed for example.

There's an art style guide in the works right now, you can check thefirst draft of it in it's thread, and also a draft of an article about ship parts which might be useful.

Oh, and here's a guy exported from makehuman. It could be useful for size comparison.
And you should consider learning the new blender interface, the new functions will make your life a lot easier in the long run. Like when it comes to LOD-ing or even UV-ing. You can do two levels of LOD in about two hours without even touching the UV-s, without any remodeling.
Nyankosensei

Post by Nyankosensei »

after yours suggest i have completely redone the design for mach amphiesma

nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

I think the proportions are looking better now. :)
It's not necessary to replicate the layout of the Amphiesma altogether though. I liked the idea of that top part of your original model. I think you should keep that with a more thought out form, it makes sense on a small craft. But it works right now too.
Also the front window looks a bit odd without any clearance at the top. It makes the hull looking thin. I think you should give a bit back to the front slope there to indicate form, like this:
(With an example of how would I do the front RCS blocks.)
You've made the switch to 2.6?
Nyankosensei

Post by Nyankosensei »

yes it is done with blender 2.6

now i have to done engine cooling and gears,
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Looks good and the mesh seems clean.
Have you done the UV?
Nyankosensei

Post by Nyankosensei »

Finally, if you tell about uv map i have do nothing by now

Nyankosensei

Post by Nyankosensei »

For now i want to finish this one, but after i can continue the OPL Barnard with a big ship, natrix is 4 time the amphiesma but have the same stat inside the game

this one is 30 m³, amphiesma is 294 m³, natrix 1248 m³ and a big ship with 3000-4000 m³