Little ship, opl Barnard Xylophis short range shuttle

Spacecrafts, buildings and other 3D asset creation
nozmajner

Re: Little ship, opl Barnard Xylophis short range shuttle

Post by nozmajner »

Can you send me the exported file, so I can check it?

Iv'e recorded the whole process of modeling and texturint the Amphiesma, but somot footage got corrupted. But if you want, I could do the UV and texturing for you, and record it, so there will be proper footage for a timelapse.
This ship might be small enough to do it relatively quick.
Nyankosensei

Post by Nyankosensei »

file is here https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzQ8Mq1 ... sp=sharing

Thanks for your help

And now ? i have to start a new ship ? :)
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Looks good.
There are some wasted polygons here and there, and parts where there should be proper geometry, and there's room for some cleanup, but it's generally nice. Good work on the low polycount too.
You don't really need any armature for the gear animation, and you don't need to make separate files for them too. I think the bone's quaternion rotation (WXYZ) handling screws it up, you need to do it Euler (XYZ).
Collada can handle multiple objects and their animation fine. I will go trough it tomorrow, after work, and give some small suggestions about the mesh and unwrap it for you on camera.
I'm not sure about the door, it seems too small and uncomfortable.
I've dug up my Amphiesma footage, the unwrap and texturing seems to be usable, but needs quite amount of editing to be watchable, so that has to wait a bit.
Nyankosensei

Post by Nyankosensei »

Door is only for atletic pilots you get inside like general lee from hazard movie :), for the rest i wait your news, thanks again
Nyankosensei

Post by Nyankosensei »

I have cleaned up the model and do some modifications, now i understand how work animation

here is the blend file

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzQ8Mq1 ... sp=sharing
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Damn, I haven't been able to finish those videos I've promised. Anyway here are they:
http://youtu.be/jF60zrwk3Pk
http://youtu.be/CHTQLv10uPQ
They are unedited and a bit slower and longer than they should be, please bear with it. My computer was a bit unresponsive during recording.
Anyway, the model is overally good, there are some minor stuff that needs some cleanup. You did a good job with this new version, but there are some floating geometry which should be welded to the main hull. They save a bunch of tris this way for sure, but they can easily cause Z fightings and flickering. Especially for the door, that's quite close to the underlying quad. Usually it's better to joint them if they are describing form. Like the RCS blocks mostly. Also they are a waste of texel too. You can get away with it sometimes though, like I haven't welded the heat sinks, because I can just delete the face behind them, so that face doesn't occupy any UV space or cause flickering. Also it wouldn't be too much of a problem at the main engine here, but I'm a bit pedantic, so I've joined that too. :)
The difference is only about 200-300 tris in the end.

I was unable to finish the UV, as you can see in the video, but you can do unwraping, as you showed it with your ground station. Anyway, you should try to squeeze the islands as tightly as possible for the most bang for your buck.
Here's the point I got with it: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/456 ... _noz.blend
Nyankosensei

Post by Nyankosensei »

I'm intereste on see a correct way for uv-map objetcs, if you need more time for do those video with this ship is not a problem for me, if you don't have time for do that i try to do something anyway thanks for your help
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Well, the method of unwraping is there in the second video, it's just that I didn't had time finishing and packing it together I will finish it, hopefully in the weekend, at least the UV, baking and LOD-ing part. You can use the same thinking on about any part really. For packing the UV's, just check out the Amphiesma's os the new Kanara's UV map, I've tried to use as much texture space as possible. I usually don't mind if parts are not lining up for example. It makes drawing paneling and such a bit harder, but I'm willing to sacrifice some comfort for a more efficient UV. And you can always use the texture painting tools to mark the points where lines and such should meet.
Nyankosensei

Post by Nyankosensei »

ok i have started working on it, i have cut excessive objects and merged better some parts of the body and now i'm ready for texturing, only 1 think, i really don't like those windows, i go to cut them off

Nyankosensei

Post by Nyankosensei »

Finally i have mapped all, sorry but i'm not hable to see yours video, my youtube won't play them

and that is the filled UV-Map

P.S.

I can use more than 1 texture for map an object ?