Spacecrafts, buildings and other 3D asset creation
JusTiCe8

Potentially a new ship

Post by JusTiCe8 »

Hi,

this is my little contribution:

a WIP cargo ship

a "bird of prey"

and some old stuff made for Kerbal Space Program (some released, many not, so with WIP/unfinished textures):

Bigger pic here:
The full album

If anyone is interested by adding one of these in Pioneer, just ask, I have 3D models (max 2015) and textures.

And don't forget, if not mentioned here before, deviantArt forum, full of amazing sci-fi pictures.
impaktor

Re: Potentially a new ship

Post by impaktor »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I took the liberty to move your post, as I understood it to be content you've made yourself, potentially for pioneer, thus I predict there will be comments and feedback on it.

"Art inspiration" thread I think more of as just dropping in links / pictures to stuff done by others that we like to drool on. If you've done thise things yourself than I think it deserves a thread of its own, and it is a nice way to introduce yourself as well.

The bird of pray can probably not go into pioneer, as doesn't fit very well with our current style, and is Star Trek trademark I suspect.

The cargo ship looks interesting, but it has stuff that looks strange to me, like wings going down, or what is that vertical stuff in the front?
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Hi!

Those KSP crafts aren't really fit into Pioneer in my opinion.
Same goes fot the Bird of Prey, it's quite the opposite to what I'm aiming for with the art style of Pioneer. And it's very clearly a Star Trek tribute, which brings up the copyright/trademark issues Impaktor mentioned.

That KSP base looks interesting, but it has to few details. It would stick out a lot even from the older assets of the game.

The cargo ship sketch has some promise, it's a good start. But the silhouette of it is quite messy. Proportions aren't that interesting either.
The engine (the elipsoid indentation) looks quite disproportionate for Pioneer too, and it's squashed shape sticks out too. The function of neither the upper extrusion in the back or those forward facing winglets isn't really clear.
The nose of the craft resembles a platypus or a mole a bit, you could certainly play a bit with that. (although not in the direction of full-on lookalike).
Overall in it's current state, that craft doesn't really looks interesting, or detailed enough for Pioneer.

Pardon me for sounding harsh, my aim is to provide useful critique and feedback (and sometimes I'm a nitpicker too). If you would like to work on something for Pioneer, I'm happy to help as much as I can, both with technical stuff (although I don't know much about 3DS Max), and with feedback and suggestions regarding the style.
JusTiCe8

Post by JusTiCe8 »

Thanks.

made myself, you're right, but not for Pioneer, just for fun or another game for some of them. That's why I put them there at the first place, sounds good to me.

bird of "pray" :), I don't think a vague design could be trademarked at all (at least for now !) it is just vaguely inspired from it, but I didn't follow any blueprint or respect any Star Trek Klingon's specifications.

Regarding the cargo ship, these are definitely not wings (not so useful in space) and maybe you talk about the rear part, I think of some kind of main control "room". Don't remember its size but it supposed to be huge (hundreds of meters or more). And to tell the story behind it, I get the idea looking at a Verbatim flash drive ! (No kidding, it makes me think of the kind of cargo ship Space Hulk could be before being wasted and infected by Genestealers, or big ships from Galactica).
impaktor wrote:Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I took the liberty to move your post, as I understood it to be content you've made yourself, potentially for pioneer, thus I predict there will be comments and feedback on it.

"Art inspiration" thread I think more of as just dropping in links / pictures to stuff done by others that we like to drool on. If you've done thise things yourself than I think it deserves a thread of its own, and it is a nice way to introduce yourself as well.

The bird of pray can probably not go into pioneer, as doesn't fit very well with our current style, and is Star Trek trademark I suspect.

The cargo ship looks interesting, but it has stuff that looks strange to me, like wings going down, or what is that vertical stuff in the front?
@nozmajner: it's ok, all comes from a misunderstanding cause of (an unfortunate ?) post moving, THIS IS NOT ships projects or Pioneer related projects, it is just some sci-fi stuff I work on before I even know anything about Pioneer.