Another ship concept

Spacecrafts, buildings and other 3D asset creation
bobtheterrible

Another ship concept

Post by bobtheterrible »

OK, OK... I know I have two other projects on the go, I just wanted to get this into blender before i forgot it.

I wanted something a little Imperial Courier like and felt the Harber line out needed some padding. It also took some inspiration from one of Noz's previous sketches so it is not totally original. The mesh still needs some work - culling, smoothing, tweaking etc...

https://github.com/BobTheTerrible/pione ... ps/courier
nozmajner

Re: Another ship concept

Post by nozmajner »

I think it looks really good.
In the model it's quite small. In the image bellow, the bigger guy and Lunar Shuttle is to scale with your model, and the smaller ones are about what I would suggest.
Maybe you could adjust the cockpit a bit, especially on the top to give a bit more view.
The nose feels a bit strange that empty, but it's appealing and industrial looking even then, so disregard the sensor dome I put to this image, I was just curious how it would look with it.
The nacelle is quite nice, but for Haber it might fit better if it would more blocky. Right now it's more towards the Kaluri direction. I quite like those little tanks on it.
I'd keep those fins as a Kaluri and MCS speciality, and move the heatsinks onto the nacelle.

Maybe you could try adding the same little rotating things the Lunar Shuttle has. I always imagined them as aux heatsinks, or comms equipment/sensor. Although for the later, it shouldn't be place that close to the engines I guess.
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

I always forget about the scale :)

I like the vents on the nacelles, it hadnt occurred to me to try that. I had put the Kaluri sinks on the back in an attempt to balance it out but concede they dont quite fit the manufacturer. I want to keep the rounded shape of the nacelles - to me they are reminiscent of current jet engines (i.e. old). I wanted the shape to be different from the hull to give it a slight hodgepodge feel like the designer had had a heart attack part way through and a new designer was brought in. The chin was a little unfinished. I could still put some sort of turret there albeit a bit blockier.

The cockpit changes look really good so Im definitely going to incorporate those! I was thinking of putting a couple of windows (not many) along the side - possibly one incorporating a door.

Its still a work in progress and I still need to finish off the Bluenose (warning: much of what I learnt at the beginning of the year I have forgotten so I might need a little reminding again......)

Bob
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

@bobtheterrible Looks really nice!
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

Thanks Impactor :) Im enjoying putting this one together.

A quick update:

I have added a chin turret as per noz's suggestion and have I have kept it chunky in line with the rest of the ship. Im not sure, but will put it out for comment.

And one more

I am more than happy to take on board other suggestions BTW. Im not very imaginative when it comes to detail and would to keep it within the spirit of Pioneer.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

This is really nice looking Bob!

I recommend keeping a library of those turrets somewhere, like the pioneer-assets repository in fact, so that you and others can reuse and update them.
There's also the gun attachment facility the Luomu added long ago in modelviewer and ingame that we could fix up to allow us to switch weaponary models.

If there's a library of weapons to use then that gets more feasible and you've already go at least 2 type there.