New ship by BobtheTerrible

Spacecrafts, buildings and other 3D asset creation
bobtheterrible

Re: New ship by BobtheTerrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

Dont rule out that it is me doing something wrong!! :)
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Of course normally I wouldn't, however typing "-mv" doesn't leave a lot to go wrong ;)
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

Of course normally I wouldn't, however typing "-mv" doesn't leave a lot to go wrong ;)
You know... life would be much easier if I actually worked with a more upto date version of the code. I forget that it was a year ago that I last worked on this................................

Sorry Fluffy :-s
Last edited by bobtheterrible on Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

Updated mod:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0_sTZ ... sp=sharing

Just viewed it int he Model Viewer... for a lumpy mess Im actually quite pleased with it :)
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

A bit wordy (likely full of typos and such) and probably not in keeping with Pioneer lore but this is my first draft of the Bluenose back ground :)

Comments and criticisms more than welcome!

The Bluenose will be quietly remembered as the offspring of one of the most bizarre events in space-aviation history. In the year XXX OKB Kaluri entered into, what was referred to at the time as “an unholy alliance” with Harber Corp. to produce a mass market medium freighter combining the best that both companies could offer. OKB hoped the endeavor would open up new markets within Solar Federation territories while Harber looked to take advantage of the significant gains in technology made by the OKB research division. The Bluenose was to be a rugged and durable spaceframe equipped with a suite of advanced avionics; on paper, this should have been a recipe for an excellent spacecraft.

Released to much fanfare, the first shipments rolled off the production lines to a somewhat mixed reception. While the intent behind the Bluenose's functional design was generally lauded, pundits were somewhat more critical of the craft's unusual aesthetics. The then editor of DraQ-aerospace-monthly commented that the Bluenose was “ugly *and* boxy”, although subsequently stated he had been misquoted. Despite these design criticisms initial sales were good, raising hopes the collaboration would succeed and boost inter-system standing of both companies.

The following months after release saw the first reports of technical abnormalities begin to appear. Official statements from both companies down played these issues as teething problems, insisting affected components would be recalled and their design revised for future models. However the reports still rolled in - initially a trickle, eventually growing to a near torrent with a multitude of defects affecting virtually all variants.

Latching on to the growing number of dissatisfied customers, media outlets quickly raised a flurry of articles painting the Bluenose as a potential death-trap. A few of the more persistent investigative journalists were successful in soliciting statements from sources close to OKB and Harber engineering devisions. The picture wasn’t good. It was apparent the Bluenose design process had been plagued by conflict, driven in no small part by the difference in ethos between the design teams of both companies. Simply put, the OKB avionics and systems did not play nicely with the Haber spaceframe.

Finally in XXX a privately registered Bluenose tore itself apart above YYYY after suffering complete attitude control failure. Tragically the owner’s husband and children were aboard during the accident. The resulting media-storm drew widespread condemnation of the Bluenose’s safety record with many fingering the manufacturers as responsible for the family's deaths. OKB and Harber were quick to attribute blame for the Bluenose’s deficiencies on the other. As media reporting of the YYYY incident escalated, OKB and Harber made the decision to halt further production bringing an acrimonious end to their joint venture. As neither company accepted responsibility, existing Bluenose shipments were never recalled. Customers were left bearing the brunt of costly repairs and upgrades, unable to sell on their purchases due to poor reputation. Large numbers of ships remained in the hands of their original owners, many of whom were effectively forced to repair or rectify the numerous design issues themselves.

Some time after the events surrounding the OKB-Harber collapse, modifications effected by their owners had largely permeated thought the remaining Bluenose fleet. To those in ship resale circles it was noticed that Bluenose owners were becoming increasingly reluctant to part with their ships. Despite the initial expense and effort of modification, many pilots came to respect the Bluenose for its relatively high delta-V and ease of handling. With early design issues rectified, the Bluenose was oft heard discussed favorably in station cafes and stopovers across the known systems. These time-tested ships being highly sought after in certain quarters for the ruggedness and reliability they had always promised.

As an effort to recoup the losses suffered during development, OKB and Harber eventually allowed numerous smaller shipyards to manufacture the Bluenose under licence. As reputation for reliability gradually improved, these shipyards were able to turn a modest profit from subsequent sales. Although later models were considered inferior, the Bluenose had returned to life with demand strongest in backwater systems and is still produced in low numbers today.
Last edited by bobtheterrible on Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Hmm, Haber-Kaluri coproduction? It's a bit unexpected for me, but I kinda like, how it turned out.
The part where it became popular among some people kinda reminds me to the history of the Trabant.
I usually tend to include a bit of text about the performance and typical use of the ship too.
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

Hmm, Haber-Kaluri coproduction? It's a bit unexpected for me
Ha! Thats no problem, it was just a little bit of fun - I can rework the story so that it fits better :)
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Nono, it's just a bit out of my usual comfort zone when I do stuff, but that's no reason to cut it.
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

I think, generally, it would be good if each "lore" existed in a short snippet form, that could fit into a text box in the game. Like 100 words or something. Just guessing here. Then what goes into those 100 words should probably be detaild.

I wouldn't mind if there was a sales pitch for each ship, either as an advertisement info, or as from a sales man: "The DeLorean is the fastest ship from this manufacturer. It is excellent for time travel, and the flux capacitor will last you forever. It makes up for its small boot/trunk with its novel wing-door construction"

Note, my idea above should be ironed out before/if anyone starts to work on it.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Just thought I'd post this link about creating lower detail models using mesh simplifcation : http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/poly ... th_meshlab

It's obviously like the mesh simplification tools within blender already but could be useful.