New ship by BobtheTerrible

Spacecrafts, buildings and other 3D asset creation
impaktor

Re: New ship by BobtheTerrible

Post by impaktor »

It's not uncommon for new features to be in development for 1-2 years.
Making progress tho and I can see blue skys ahead...
Maybe it's just the eye of the tornado.
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

Hi All,

Apologies for leaving this project for so long. I hadn't forgotten about it, life just go in the way :-/

Im intending to try and get back into this again and actually finish it. Unfortunately I seem to have forgotten much of what Noz had taught me so It might take a little while to get going.

I haven't been totally idle while I have been away, I have reworked the texture from panel lines up - I was never quite comfortable with the previous set of lines and thought I could do better. I have also added some detail although Im not sure how much of it will be truly visible in game.

I have updated my repo:
https://github.com/BobTheTerrible/pione ... s/bluenose

and I "THINK" this mod works, although I have not actually checked it yet. If it dosnt work let me know and I will regenerate it tomorrow...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0_sTZ ... sp=sharing

Bob
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

Sweet! Welcome back!
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

No need for apologies. :) We are in the same boat it seems.
I think it looks really good. And the mod works indeed.
I think you nailed the handling of the ship too.
It might be a bit cheap, but I guess that will be revisited anyway when I finally get around to do another pass on rebalance. (I'm actively researching some stuff about that.)
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Good to see you back, don't worry about downtime, real-life is like that and we're all used too it here :)

I'm just adding support outputting the errors and warnings from the modelviewer to make it a bit more useful to you artists.

This is what currently comes out of the bluenose when loaded in modelviewer, it still looks fine but there's no collision mesh etc.
Loading model bluenose...
CreateCollisionMesh for : (bluenose)
bluenose_med.dae: missing Tangents and Bitangents coordinates
bluenose_med.dae: missing Tangents and Bitangents coordinatesbluenose_med.dae: no material Canopy-material, using material 1 instead
bluenose_med.dae: no material Canopy-material, using material 1 insteadbluenose_med.dae: no material Material_005-material, using material 4 instead
bluenose_med.dae: no material Material_005-material, using material 4 insteadbluenose_med.dae: no material Canopy-material, using material 1 instead
bluenose_med.dae: no material Canopy-material, using material 1 insteadbluenose_med.dae: no material Engine-material, using material 2 instead
bluenose_med.dae: no material Engine-material, using material 2 insteadbluenose_med.dae: no material Engine-material, using material 2 instead
bluenose_med.dae: no material Engine-material, using material 2 insteadbluenose_med.dae: no material Engine-material, using material 2 instead
bluenose_med.dae: no material Engine-material, using material 2 insteadbluenose.dae: missing Tangents and Bitangents coordinates
bluenose.dae: missing Tangents and Bitangents coordinatesbluenose.dae: no material Canopy-material, using material 1 instead
bluenose.dae: no material Canopy-material, using material 1 insteadbluenose.dae: no material Canopy-material, using material 1 instead
bluenose.dae: no material Canopy-material, using material 1 insteadbluenose.dae: no material Engine-material, using material 2 instead
bluenose.dae: no material Engine-material, using material 2 insteadbluenose.dae: no material Engine-material, using material 2 instead
bluenose.dae: no material Engine-material, using material 2 insteadbluenose.dae: no material Engine-material, using material 2 instead
bluenose.dae: no material Engine-material, using material 2 insteadbluenose_shield.dae: missing UV coordinates
bluenose_shield.dae: missing UV coordinatesbluenose_shield.dae: missing Tangents and Bitangents coordinates
bluenose_shield.dae: missing Tangents and Bitangents coordinatesbluenose_shield.dae: no material DefaultMaterial, using material 1 instead
bluenose_shield.dae: no material DefaultMaterial, using material 1 instead
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

Blugh! I have no idea what any of that logging means! :)

Im tempted to double up on the shield dae as the collision mesh as Im not sure what it is supposed to look like.

Im seeing a lot of missing material warnings - do these reference existing in game materials or are they defined in my model? Basically do I need to name them specifically? If I need to define them myself it might be worth giving me some sensible values to start with.

Glow and Specular maps are next. Im going to be a little cheeky here and ask for some pointers :) I have a vague idea of how to generate a specular map but not really sure what it is Im trying to achieve.

Bob
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Those error messages are for the other materials on your objects. At first I thought you are aware those messages, just want to fix them in the end.
I've just checked the .dae files, and you have multiple materials on a lot of objects, that's one source for them. In total you have like 5 unused materials, which are not set up in the .model file. Delete all materials from each object, except for the fuselage material.
You can peek on other mosels for some sensible value for materials. Although the textures will have more impact on the final look.

For the specular texture, I tend to paint it by hand, and also I use the weathering layer, where the paint-job is worn down. The brighter the pixel, the shinier the result will be.
Same goes for glow, I usually paint them by hand, and also using the AO map, if it has the colors for glowing parts.
And you will hate that now the game supports normal maps too. :P Thankfully there's a normal map plugin for GIMP, zordey showed me, which can output a usable one.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Yeah sorry for that bob they are quite annoying but I thought you knew about them too :)

They should be easy to sort out as nozmajner says. I just added the logging so it should go into a build in the next few days.
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

Awesome! Thanks Noz :) I didnt even realise I could have more than one material assigned.

You also assume that I know what Im doing!! I couldnt actually get the model view to work on my mac, Pioneer -mv seems to just launch the app normally. Im still doing most of my development in Blender and periodically importing the mod.

Time for a bit of tidying...
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Oh dear, it definitely should! I'll try to investigate it not working on OSX asap.