New ship by BobtheTerrible

Spacecrafts, buildings and other 3D asset creation
nozmajner

Re: New ship by BobtheTerrible

Post by nozmajner »

Looks pretty good so far.

I usually put some more elaborate paneling around the RCS (thinking about the rear ones on your ship).
Also I usually wear the painting down more on the panel line's edge towards the back direction to add some directionality. And I usually paint the wear in Blender on a separate texture layer so it's easier to see which part is which. And then I composite them in Gimp or nowdays in Krita. I also have to try out projection painting for this sometimes. Krita's brush engine is great.

I was suggesting Inkscape for the vector works, like paneling because I find it more easy to use. No need to use it if you don't want to.
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

Hi All,

Its been a while. Unfortunately the brewing storm that has been far off on the work horizon has finally arrived. Looks like I am going to be busy for the next 3-4 months :-(

So before I effectively drop off the radar for a while, I will post an update on this model. Basically I have reworked pretty much all the UV detail. I have tidied up the panel lines (still some bits Im not happy with but they will do for the moment), reworked the weathering in Krita (which is a pretty cool app) and added some decals.

Things still left to do:
The LODS could have been better in terms of UV - this needs to be revisited.
Some general UV tidying.
Glow and Specular maps need to be generated.
Ship stats - not really looked at this yet.
Ship background - its old but reliable... something like that....

Mod
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0_sTZ ... sp=sharing

I will still be around but wont be working much on this project for a while (If I need a break from work this is where I will be) /:-)

Bob :)
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

It's a shame you won't be able to work on the model so much as you've done a fantastic job on it and I'd like it to go into the game asap.
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

I haven't looked at the ship in-game/in-blender but if it is in a presentable shape (i.e. has texture, looks OK) we can come up with some stats and merge it into the game, and then you could update the ship in 6 months (or whenever) to a version 2.0, with all the changes you want to make.

Because it would be nice to get it into the game.

At least that is my suggestion.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Hey!

Looks really very nice.
Let's invoke the mighty magic of open source development: if you can send me the source files, I could work on it when time allows, and bring it to a shape where it can be included, and you can pick it up and finish it when your storm settles. If you don't mind it of course. :)

Not that I have a lot of time recently, but I could snag some off hours during the weekends.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

I think it will need to have a simple collision mesh generated for it, and the params - from the mod Noz did earlier during development - will need some tweaking. Also the png must be converted to DDS for the final game version.

Other than that I can't see anything wrong with it, it's of as good a quality as most of our current models and looks great :)
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

Hi Guys!

Many thanks for the complements - this has been a great experience and a lot of fun :). I am very much appreciative of the help and support you guys have put into this and Im happy that I have been able to give something back.
Let's invoke the mighty magic of open source development...... If you don't mind it of course. :)
Not at all! I would be happy for others to work on this - they are much more likely to be better and faster at tidying this up than me! My only request is that you update this thread so I can see what is going on :). The panel lines and weathering are a bit... um... rough - mainly because this was my second attempt and it was a lot harder and time consuming that I thought it would be. If any one wanted a go at improving on what I have done then I wouldn't be upset.

I have updated my asset fork on GitHub (actually I was pretty bad and did most of my work outside of git so there isn't any history :/ ). I also couldn't resist and had a go at reworking the LODS last night so the mesh plays nicer with the UV.

https://github.com/BobTheTerrible/pione ... s/bluenose.

If there is anything you want or need let me know and I will update the fork.

Like I said I wont be gone completely, I just cant work on this as much at the moment. I still want to have another go at building another model at some point - Im hoping I will be able to put it together much quicker the next time around :)

Bob
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

I just thought I'd let bobtheterrible know that the ship is still waiting for you, if you have the time to complete it (this summer/year?). We thought it would be more fun for you to have done everything on the ship yourself rather than have someone swoop in and finish it for you.

Either way, there's no rush, and we have the source files.

This was just an update since this thread has been quiet for some time.
Last edited by impaktor on Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling
bobtheterrible

Post by bobtheterrible »

Hi Impaktor,

Thanks for the prod! Im still about - just... That storm I predicted is now in full swing and Im currently working till late most evening and at weekends. When Im not working I am making sure my other-half dosnt get too annoyed and leave me /:-) Making progress tho and I can see blue skys ahead...

I appreciate the sentiment, Id also like to get this project to a finished state and it is very much on my radar as long as you guys are happy to wait for a month or so. I will be back!!

Bob :)
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Hi

We are sure happy to wait, we aren't going anywhere. :) My ships weren't progressing too much either, i had a dense time this first half too.
Hope you get through your storm soon.