Ship sketches

Spacecrafts, buildings and other 3D asset creation
nozmajner

Re: Ship sketches

Post by nozmajner »

As I mentioned, I have started building that #9 ship. :)
TheBob

Post by TheBob »

Is the nose going to stay that pointy? I really, really like the flat nose in the sketch.
NeuralKernel

Post by NeuralKernel »

I kind of like the point, though it could use a bit more "meat" on the bottom. Not sure if it was something you were going for in the original sketch but it kinda looks a bit like a flying boat hull... or waverider, or WIG maybe? There was some talk in the other forum about adding runways at some point... why not consider water (well, liquid...) landings too? It would tie nicely with the fishy theme... even as a purely aesthetic or legacy feature.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

It might be a bit less pointy, but I want to use this basic shape.
My intention was a hint of flying boat/ekranoplan for it, those are usually the best looking planes you can find (PBY-5 for example, or the Orlyonok or the Caspian Sea Monster).
We can already land on water, since it acts like ground. :D I always thought water landing ships are a good idea (like the Bebop), since then you can use the existing seaports as a spaceport. Spaceships could splash down at a distance from the shore and residental areas to reduce noise and air pollution and the risk of accidents.
TheBob

Post by TheBob »

Ah, my bad... that's for sketch number 9. I kind of thought it was for the latest sketch you posted. Looks similar due to the sidemount engines.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Yes, I'm considering changing the nacelles on the #9 to a more Kaluri like one. Anyway, the story behind it might be that those two yards are direct competitors and riping off each other all the time.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

#30 - Auronox Tide - A bit of elaboration on #24 larger one. Main inspiration comes from theselifting body crafts.
I kept Baobobafets wave varinat mockups in mind too, while sketching this. But I wanted to play with the shape a bit more instead of just enlarging the Wave.
It's 35.5m long, 34.1m wide (including wings) and 6.5m high. (Wave: 22.2m, 22.4m, 4.6m ). The nose area with the small porthole/sensor housing is about the same on both crafts, but the airframe is different. The wings are swept dihedral (angled back and up.) It has air intakes for hybrid operation. I didn't included retro and side thrusters on these drawings, but they should be present.
I've included some section lines on the drawings for clarity, but they don't need to be present on the texture in the end.
And a crude 3D sketch of it with the actual scale (blend file linked from the image). I used it to get the dimensions of the craft.
Image.

The name, Tide is just a working title, it could be changed. I like it though, and works well with Wave.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

I like the name and the styling :)
Wish that I had your talent!
Evarchart

Post by Evarchart »

I love this thread, that Solfed stuff is wonderful. Any chance we could see some more?
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

I want to draw a lot of things for sure. Hopefully I can do that in the summer.