Military Venturestar "Drop ship"

Spacecrafts, buildings and other 3D asset creation
nozmajner

Re: Military Venturestar "Drop ship"

Post by nozmajner »

@Zordey: Looging good.
You mean the thruster effects? I don't remember touching them apart from moving them around a bit. Negative scaling (mirroring can do that for objects) can cause inside out geometry. Or you mean the cylinders on layer 10 or somewhere? You can delete those, they are just to get some black circles and a bit of self shadowing to show up on the AO bake. Sorry about that, I forgot to mention them. I usually do these texture holes this way, so I don't have to guestimate the ellipses.
Zordey

Post by Zordey »

I meant the cylinders.. I deleted them and it looks ok, I am still a bit confused why the geometry was inside out though.

Hopefully I will get a chance at lunch to add in the camera and gun points at lunch today.

I then need to tidy up the textures around the wings then I think that will do me for a while. I can then go back and update the Venturestar and Deneb textures with what I have learned :)
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Zordey wrote:I meant the cylinders.. I deleted them and it looks ok, I am still a bit confused why the geometry was inside out though.

Hopefully I will get a chance at lunch to add in the camera and gun points at lunch today.

I then need to tidy up the textures around the wings then I think that will do me for a while. I can then go back and update the Venturestar and Deneb textures with what I have learned :)
If you mirror geometry in an axis then it really does "mirror" it so that the triangle winding order is reversed. In 3D modelling programs that just doesn't matter since they render both sides of a triangle, or they base it off the surface normal. However when you're rendering something in a game the triangles winding order is what tells you whether or not that triangle faces the camera for the purpose of backface culling. You backface cull triangles so that you're not drawing ones you won't see (because they face away from the camera).

There's usually a way to reverse the winding order of a bunch of triangles in 3D modelling programs so my recommendation wuld be to do some simply tests, perhaps with a cube - duplicate/mirror it and export it. See what it looks like in the modelviewer, then try again but reverse the winding order of the mirrored cube and see if that fixes it. If it does then you've probably found the cause of the problem.
Zordey

Post by Zordey »

Couple more recent screenshots with new sensors and lift thrusters: