new_crappy (or noz_wheel :) ), docking and safety

Spacecrafts, buildings and other 3D asset creation
Tichy

new_crappy (or noz_wheel :) ), docking and safety

Post by Tichy »

If there will be more traffic in the new station, I think that it would be nice to have some traffic rules, which will contribute to make it more realistic. From the point of view of the inhabitants of the station and his administration, it's better to avoid incidents.

If I were the administrator of the station, I would like to have:
- all the ships enters from one side when docking, and all of them exits from the other side when leaving. this would reduce some dangerous situations.
- limit the allowed speed inside the station to somthing safe. all pilots will be informed when approaching the station and when undocking. fines will be applied.
- decide how many ships could dock and leave at the same time and have a docking and a leaving queue.

What do you think?
Last edited by Tichy on Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
impaktor

Re: new_crappy (or noz_wheel :) ), docking and safety

Post by impaktor »

I don't have much to add that hasen't been said in:How busy is too busy? I think.
- limit the allowed speed inside the station to somthing safe. all pilots will be informed when approaching the station and when undocking. fines will be applied.
I think physics will limit the speed for you. Too high speed, you crash, you die.
Tichy

Post by Tichy »

impaktor wrote:I don't have much to add that hasen't been said in:How busy is too busy? I think.
I think physics will limit the speed for you. Too high speed, you crash, you die.
That's true... also in real life :)
In RL there are also rules to enforce a good and reasonable behavoiur (let's pretend this), so I think that the same should be in game.
It's true that, if you go too fast you'll crash into the station, but I expect that the inhabitants of the stations and the administrators would like to prevent this, if possibile. To avoid damages (even if the stations are, at the moment, invulnerables) and danger to inhabitants and workers. :)

Thus some policy would be reasonable and, imho, will add to the immersion.
DraQ

Post by DraQ »

As long as speed limit will be legal instead of physical, why not?

Separate exit and entry would be convenient, but I see one important caveat - if we'd ever like to implement modular stations with not just hangar and 1x hab ring, but possibly all sorts of modules (storage, power generation, industrial, military, other hab wheels) attached, it robs us of the only attachment point not already occupied by the docking bay.

Modular stations would look much more interesting and diverse, the latter being especially important in a world as big as Pioneer's.
Tichy

Post by Tichy »

DraQ wrote: Separate exit and entry would be convenient, but I see one important caveat - if we'd ever like to implement modular stations with not just hangar and 1x hab ring, but possibly all sorts of modules (storage, power generation, industrial, military, other hab wheels) attached, it robs us of the only attachment point not already occupied by the docking bay.
In that case, entrace and exit would be the same and also the docking and leaving queues.
In stations with one extrance and one exit and two separate queues, the traffic will be more flowing.
This will add some more variety, I think. :)
DraQ

Post by DraQ »

If having two modes of traffic flow, or maybe even have them decided automatically based on whether a station has auxiliary modules wouldn't be a problem then there is no reason not to have separate entrance and exit whenever station's configuration allows it.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

So we need:
  • Queue management for docking and leaving rather than just locking the port entirely.
  • Entrance and exits (we have those already but they use the same port lock).