Wave upgrade

Spacecrafts, buildings and other 3D asset creation
baobobafet

Re: Wave upgrade

Post by baobobafet »

After some well needed zzzzzz's :) I have thought of a few ideas I might try on how to fix the 'glitchyness' of the scratched pattern versions - involving blending the unscratched pattern with the scratched one. It should help to dial back some of the coarseness of the scratches - and with a little blurring I think it may do the trick.
I will try to find some time to play around with this over the next few days and will post results.

Also, after some thinking I almost want to retract what I suggested about limiting color pallets for ships, I would be far better if this was left to the player to decide.
(mind you this would have little effect on any NPC ship garish color choices.) Maybe some way to restrain 'some' colors is still the way to go?
For the player at least, hopefully sooner than later there could be a paint shop option in game (similar to the previous paintshop mod)
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Just let me know when you want me to update the PR with newer files.

Sorry I haven't been keeping on top of this but I've been trying to get a bunch of other things done :)
baobobafet

Post by baobobafet »

Third time's the charm?

Goaded on by my own comment :O "Dealing with this would likely require virtually having to remake any so afflicted
patterns from scratch"

Checked these over pretty thoroughly for glitches, should be down to a minimum now.

Scratches in patterns are also less stark. Did a complete re-work of some of the more complex patterns.
Dependent on pattern, color choices, some graphical glitching can still creep in when viewing ships at particular
angles and zoom settings. The camo pattern is the only one that still seems to have this as an issue ATM
(despite my efforts to negate it)- although it is largely reliant on a ship's colors - as to whether it is noticeable
in certain instances or not.

This could remain a persistent problem - until a 'paint shop' option to alter ship color becomes added to the game.

Alternate solve to this is probably setting some type of color parameters for ships (or color bans), which would also
help deter NP ships from using those same potentially glitchy and often less than appealing, ship colors.

One thing NP ships generally have going for them ATM, is that they are often too far away, too small or moving too
fast, resulting in most such flaws remaining unnoticed, unless approaching ships at close quarters.

Override Option
Any potential ingame color restrictions on ships, could conceivably have an override by the player from within any
ensuing paint shop utility, with some dialog like "Check box to ignore recommended or standard color parameters".
That way If you REALLY wanted that ultra DayGlo paint job, you could still indulge yourself.

Mod links:
1024x1024 version: http://www.mediafire.com/download/nwnmw ... bao_V3.zip
2048x2048 version: http://www.mediafire.com/download/2qs2l ... bao_V3.zip

Source file links:
1024x1024 version: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3irdb ... tterns.rar
2048x2048 version: http://www.mediafire.com/download/nk1vb ... tterns.rar
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

They are nice. :)

Those scratches are still look like a seam error or texture glitch, even if they are not that prominent now.

And I still think that those with the logos are still look forced.

But apart from these, they look nice. I hope you give a treatment of this for the other vessels too.
baobobafet

Post by baobobafet »

If you look at the same variants without scratches - you will notice this is not a seam error, since it would also be prominent in the
unscratched versions. These added scratches in the patterns were an attempt to give a more worn appearance to the Wave.
There are two versions for each pattern ie: one with surface scratches and one without. If you are finding the scratched versions
somehow glitchy you can always avoid using those.

As far as patterns for other ships, I am still in the midst of an upgrade for the Wave-e mod. Once that is behind me, I will see how
much time I have to spend on other such projects.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

I know they are supposed to be scratches. They just don't look like scratches.
baobobafet

Post by baobobafet »

Wasn't there a generic dirt and scratches layer in the paint shop mod that could be applied across all ships?
If not, such a layer would save time if it could be applied to a ship if a custom one wasn't unavailable.

Another option that could also save time creating multiple ship patterns would be a way to map ready made generic
textures to ships in locations that are painted with a specific key color. Presumably this could be done within the
existing pattern parsing routine that assigns colors to various pattern shades.?

As an example,
I want a camo pattern on my ship in X location, so I paint the pattern in that area with whatever placeholder color.
A subsequent code routine would have to recognize and replace that specific color in that location with either a random
or select texture.
This way a single pattern could use multiple textures if the used pattern incorporated such a texture placeholder color.
It would also add to ship customization options, especially in any paint shop addition.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

I updated the PR with the newer 1024x1024 textures.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

OK, Those scratch-glitch stuff is nitpicking, nothing showstopper. I still think they need some thought, but these patterns look nice, so no point stalling it over that. (Sorry if I stalled it before)
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerged! :)