Ground station remake

Spacecrafts, buildings and other 3D asset creation
Nyankosensei

Ground station remake

Post by Nyankosensei »

I have start watching my old design for groundstation but first i want be hable to hunderstand how work landing system, if it watch collidable parts or if it is based on approach stage, that for make a way for have all ships perfect landed on surface, now shield meshes seems have broken a bit the system and i'm waiting for some solutions.

Based on suggestion from nozmajner i want remove some hangars for have space for make some fuel silos and i want retexture all for try to have a better looking surface (use more than 1 texture or i can use a texture 4096x4096?)

for walterar problems with old ships ther'is a tag for objects in old ground station, if you have time for try it i can make an object for see if it fix yours problems.

For add radars on structure i have see all other objects use antenna-like sensor system but if you think is better add it is not a big problem

At the end if you don't like that station design is useless i continue improve it
walterar

Re: Ground station remake

Post by walterar »

The correct mesh of the ships is the "old".
The "new" ships always fly with the landing gear down. Exposed to enemy projectiles in combat.
Meshes landing must be adjusted at the station.
If you do not agree with this, do I not waste any more time.
Nyankosensei

Post by Nyankosensei »

the solution is not level up collision but find the differences from the new and the old station, do something without documentation is not simple.

the only difference i have find is the SurfacePad name of the object

try to change this file for see if work now

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzQ8Mq ... sp=sharing
walterar

Post by walterar »

Questo funziona.

Questo non funziona.

Questo non funziona.

Questo funziona.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

So it's not consistent with the same collision mesh? Or you are trying different collision meshes?
Nyankosensei

Post by Nyankosensei »

@Nozmajner

What i want to know is, you think this station design can be integrated in the game or is a waste of time improve it ?
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

For what it's worth: I think it can be integrated, it might need for fixes, redoing some texturing etc, but I really like that it has more landing pads and feels more like am airport with the taxi roads etc.

I made the ground station we currently use, and it was mostly just hacked and bodged together! :) The fact that it works is more a result of determination and pig ignorance on my own part.

I will try and answer your other questions later on about how to fix things, I'm not sure what's going wrong with it myself yet.

Please do keep working at it.

You can use several textures if you want, the reason we usually say to use just one texture is to stop people from going crazy and having separate textures for every railing!
Try to keep the number down, if you can get away with:
1 - that's great because it means no texture swapping when rendering the model,
2 - ok don't worry about,
3, 4, 5 etc - well do you really need them? Can you not join some of them into a single bigger texture atlas?

Maximum texture size is hard to tell, you could use a 4096x4096 but I don't know how/if all platforms will handle it, in this case maybe split it into 2 smaller textures - there shouldn't be any performance problem because we're only drawing a very limited number of stations at once, usually just one!
I think that 4096x4096 should work just fine, but then I always think that and we end up running into the limitations of some Intel GPU :(

Next, try converting your texture to a DDS file, this means we don't have to convert when loading (if texture compression is enabled, which I recommend it should be!) and will show you exactly how much ram the texture will be using when the game is running. Seeing a giant texture is usually a good motivation for packing it better or scaling it down ;)

What is the "tag for objects in old ground station"? I modelled it but I don't know what you mean by it :)
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

@Niankoensei: It needs a bit of fixing, mostly on the UVs and textures, but it's good to go then. (I'm already using the mod).
I'll write up some suggestions tomorrow, after I get home.
Nyankosensei

Post by Nyankosensei »

At the end, this station is "Big" vs the old one but is "small" vs big crappy station made by Nozmajner, is not better make a design with more pads or is planned to have more than 1 ground station model like paragon ?
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

I'd say this one is a smaller station. I want to make a bit bigger one, which is in line with the vlastan buildings style (also working on touching up those buildings too).
It would be nice to have more than one or two stations, I'm certain about that.
(I didn't make the big crappy, I just started remodeling it.)