3D Cockpits

Spacecrafts, buildings and other 3D asset creation
nozmajner

Re: 3D Cockpits

Post by nozmajner »

Hey! :)

Yes, something like you described is the general aim. Having a HUD which is consistent throughout the game, and also a cockpit for each ship, with appropriate flavors for each manufacturer. The general layout will most likely be the same to make it easier to create prefabs and such. Nevertheless it's a very looong road.

As far as I know we don't have anything against Elite:Dangerous, so don't worry. :)
I'm not a fan of the aesthetic choice they made having a holo interface, but it's nicely thought trough, and works pretty fine.
FluffyFreak

Post by FluffyFreak »

As nozmajner says Elite:Dangerous is fine with us :) it's responsible for me not getting as much done as I'd hoped actually since I keep getting distracted by it!
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

I'll look you up in it then :D
Chalito

Post by Chalito »

Cool!

I'd love to play E:D but my pc is outdated (amd x2, 2gb ram, nvidia 8600gt), and for now it's a bit off my budget.. So I'll focus on playing pioneer and getting used to it, then I'll see how I can contribute :)
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

I picked up this thing as active resting from my animation project.

This is where I got with the Sinonatrix:
With big FOV:
With proper FOV:

It will most likely work for the Xylophis too with some modifications.
It severly limits the field of view, but I kinda like them. Another incentive to get a better ship.
The side windows are actually monitors, I will put a proper texture on them to indicate that.

Here's a mod to try out. It's veryvery rough around the edges, no textures at all and some normals are inverted. But it nicely shows the view from the pilot's seat.
WKFO

Post by WKFO »

This is my WIP cockpit for Lunar Shuttle that I made by looking at the ship's external view. I don't exactly know where the POV will be, but it is too early to worry about that I guess.

I don't know what kind of prefab there will be for Haber Corporation, since there are two irrelevant spacecraft built by them as far as I know.
The main problem I am having with the Lunar Shuttle is; I don't know if the cockpit is single seat or two.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

Nice! That ship will provide quite a good view around (compared to the OPLI ships, hehe, those _are_ claustrofobic, I know I played for a couple of hours with that WIP cockpit.
You could use the in-game model for that for the most precise basis. (I do that usually) And the camera tags would also tell you the exact POV. Which is at 0,0,0 for the cockpit model.

You can find the source .blend file for it here. Might be helpful. There are two guys sitting in the ship on layer 14 (5th of second row):

Not much prefabs yet, that's one of the reason I started up working on them again, to build up the basic library of that. I could give you the flight and throttle stick, and some other models, but only as a placeholder since they aren't yet textured. Or the fire extinguisher, but that needs UV and textures too.
Anyhow, here's the simple human model I use for the sake of sizing. You can append it to your scene. (Look among the Groups, but copy-pasting it might also work)

I already have a basic model for the DSMiner replacement, to make it more in line with the other ships, but it's not yet too detailed. So in-game for Haber, only the Lunar Shuttle really counts from design POV for now.

Also, do write down any prefabs that might be needed, in case I forgot anything. I already have some basic buttons, swithces, cobs, MFDs, handgrabs, a bit of tubing, a seat, a simple keyboard, AC nozzle. I also want to make a small first aid kit. All of them is half-done though, so I could offer them only as placeholders in their current state. (The spherical cockpit a couple of posts above has some of them.)
WKFO

Post by WKFO »

I made the necessary corrections and about to start building some interior. It starts to feel like the driver seat of a (weird) automobile.
If we have a set of prefabs I would like to have them.

Also, what will we do for rear and bottom camera positions? We can use external cameras or we can just delete these parts of the cockpit.
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

I'll gather my pre-prefabs in a couple of days, when I get home.

Those bars on the image feel awfully thin and wide. Are you sure about them?
WKFO

Post by WKFO »

No, these struts won't stay like that. I just finished bringing them into correct positions and rotations, sculpting and visual OK-ness is a whole another thing.
Still a lot of work remains for the cockpit outlines.

Though I will postpone them until I finish the general layout of the interior. I don't think someone will want a Lunar Shuttle cockpit soon so I will use a lot of time.

By the way I edited the canopy struts a bit. Now they look just awfully thin, instead of awfully thin AND wide. I also found the POV I was looking for. The only question remaining is: Do I want a back-seater seat in the cockpit?
http://imgur.com/a/1Yejl