3D Cockpits

Spacecrafts, buildings and other 3D asset creation
nozmajner

Re: 3D Cockpits

Post by nozmajner »

I could update the camera tags to be properly positioned, if we want this (maybe even in the next release). I would definitelly like to have this.
How does that change work? Does it only show the ship parts when the Cockpit is enabled, or even when it is disabled?
Maybe it would be good to have an option for this, or tie it to the cockpit setting?
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

It only shows the ship parts when NOT using the forward view (i.e. when the cockpit is showing).

In my experimentation, many times I ended up with either the cockpit showing in all views, or both the cockpit and ship parts showing in forward view, which I just realized something interesting about: In the forward view, the ship parts, like the new cockpit, also did not do the player ship's pattern and colour properly as I recall. It just used the first pattern and the default colours. In the other views, the correct colour and pattern was/is shown. So it seems the problem with the Sinonatrix cockpit not using the correct pattern/colour may not be an issue with the cockpit itself, but with the forward view.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering that, but I do seem to recall after the fact that both the cockpit (which I had at 50 percent opacity so I could tell it apart easily) and the "real" ship both had the same red front colour every time. Maybe that gives you a hint as to how to fix the issue... hopefully!

The only "issue" now is that thruster plumes only show in views other than the front view when the cockpit is visible. I thought you had originally set it up to show thrusters, but the commit doesn't have anything about thrusters. Is there an issue with the "G-force movement" code that moves the cockpit but doesn't actually move the head? I noticed when both the "real ship" and cockpit were visible at the same time that the cockpit moves when applying thrusters but the "real ship" does not, so I assume the thuster plumes wouldn't always be lined up correctly...?
nozmajner

Post by nozmajner »

I mean shoud the showing of the ship parts in the other views be tied to an option, or to the cockpit visibility option. Cockpit on would show the ship, cockpit off would not.
The thruster plumes should be placed properly and should move with the cockpit in master.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Oh, I had your older sinonatrix_cockpit.dae on my install! (Still doesn't match pattern/colour with the actual ship though, instead always loading the first pattern with default colours. Any idea how to fix that yet?)

I just realized I'm seeing cockpits in external views now. Some more tweaking is in order... ah, OK, I did not need to -- and should not have -- remove the !IsExteriorView() && requirement from the if line there.