New game: "Objects in space", and some thoughts on pioneer

Games that are interesting for one reason or another
impaktor

New game: "Objects in space", and some thoughts on pioneer

Post by impaktor »

I like the look of this game which is currently in development. Sadly not open source. It takes inspiration from submarine games, and such games as EGA Trek, Star Trek: 25th Anniversary, Privateer, and books like The Terran Trade Authority.

dev-blog-1-objects-in-space
dev-blog-2-conception-early-development
dev-blog-4-prototype

http://objectsgame.com/screens/

(kudos to nozmajner for linking to this blog.)

Also, at least for me, it highlights the role of how in-game computer screens can increase feel and immersion in the game world, which seen from a pioneer perspective would tie in to cockpits. I wouldn't mind having some retro looking computer screens, at least for older ships, in the cockpit (e.g. for comms log), if I'm allowed to do some dreaming and wishful thinking.

Also, one of the screenshots showing their BBS had a "read" / "unread" indicator. Perhaps something that could be useful for our BBS, although we currently colour our BBS (white grey) after which missions are possible for the player to take (something I never liked).

And speaking of cockpits, I was surprised going back to Wing Commander Privateer and looking at the absurdly tiny view of the cockpit:
FluffyFreak

Re: New game: "Objects in space", and some thoughts on pione

Post by FluffyFreak »

The absurdly tiny view area was a rendering optimisation, less they had to draw each frame ;)
nozmajner

Re: New game: "Objects in space", and some thoughts on pione

Post by nozmajner »

@impaktor: you will love the view from the OPLI ships :D

I'm slowly working on a replacement default cockpit, which plays better with the headlook function.
This version is quite old, I already removed those side screens and added handgrabs and AC nozzles, and also the flight sticks are modeled, but I don't have a screenshot of it on me right now.
It will have a single screen in the middle. Hopefully that will be a good playground for the function you mentioned eventually.