New Settlement Sizes

A quieter space for design discussion of long-term projects
CMDR ARGHouse

Re: New Settlement Sizes

Post by CMDR ARGHouse »

Okay, maybe it is working, kinda:
1. In my version, Sol has a population of 15.3 billion, no changes made to the custom system provided with the master. <<< will comment out the changes and see if it is the same population with the vanilla code to confirm.
2. in the 20240314 released version, Sol has a population of 17.21 billion
CMDR ARGHouse

Post by CMDR ARGHouse »

And another system, Epsilon Eridani:
1. My version, population of 11.09 billion
2. 20240314 release version, population of 9.73 billion

However there does not seem to be any difference between population numbers of procedural systems, or the systems listed in local stars or bright stars, between either version, which strikes me as being odd. This only seems to be effecting custom systems???
CMDR ARGHouse

Post by CMDR ARGHouse »

Okay, something is definitely happening, but with custom systems only, commented out my changes and added the vanilla code back in, Sol pop is back to 17.21 billion.
impaktor

Post by impaktor »

I doubt anyone will take time and read the code dump you did, and it's not clear what the current status in master is that you want to change, nor what the aim is beyond "make it better" / population depend on colony age?
And another system, Epsilon Eridani:
1. My version, population of 11.09 billion
2. 20240314 release version, population of 9.73 billion
This tells me nothing, beyond "you've changed a system slightly". This whole thread is becoming more and more noisy / less productive, as I still don't see a proper diagnose or description of what the problem or limitation in master is, just snippets of someones internal monologue, addressing a problem that perhaps is not properly defined in the first place.

Ideally, I'd like to see graphs/histograms showing current population distribution in the galaxy based on whatever metric that exposes the current limitation in master, e.g. tech level, earth like climate, and/or colony age (or some other smarter way of visualizing broad level aggregate galaxy statistics). Then captions/text that goes along with the figures, highlighting what in the figure indicates the galaxy generating code needs improving. Then you can use the code for aggregating and visualizing population distribution when you develop the new code.

Sorry to sound negative, but to go further, in a productive manner, I'd recommend the above approach, rather than a flurry of random posts.